Looking for a daily driver / weekend towcar

grahamngillian

Reaction score
Hi all
Just joined up today and looking for some advice on buying an Audi.

My initial thoughts are that an A4 would be too small and I am currently leaning towards either an A6 or A8.
My biggest dilemma is which engine to go for.

The requirements are:

1.: Quattro, (live in the NE of Scotland)

2. Daily driver for 500 miles per week with a compromise between economy and power. I'm not bothered about mega accelaration (I have a 550hp Mustang for that)

3.: Weekend towcar so needs to be torquey. I would most likely be getting it re-mapped for better torque so which engine works best from re-mapping?

4.: Budget of £6k

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Graham

Allroad 2.5 tdi then, it ticks all the right boxes: big torquey engine, decent fuel economy for its size, nearly 2 tonnes curb weight and self leveling air suspension. They even come with loads of kit as standard and with a remap at about 210-220 Bhp/440Nm of torque it will pull stumps out of the ground. Here's mine:
allroad3.jpg

allroad4.jpg

allroad5.jpg

allroad.jpg

2002-abt-audi-allroad-quattro-1600x1200-image-51.jpg

2002-abt-audi-allroad-quattro-1600x1200-image-11.jpg

2002-abt-audi-allroad-quattro-1600x1200-image-81.jpg

Cheers
Thats the one I thought about but wasn't sure about the variable ride height thing. I assume its pretty good and handling is not compromised when set at "normal".

Your the only one to reply so I guess not many interested eh?

Your the only one to reply so I guess not many interested eh?

I was going to reply, then I saw your budget, and you seemed adamant on buying an Audi, hence joining the forum, so I held back! lol

Consider an A4 2.5tdi, it's within you budget and will handle better than an A6, or even a Passat if you are interested in rear leg room, those are available with 4motion, similar to quattro drivetrain.

Cheers, jojo.
I didn't really consider the A4 but then again never really gave the point about handling any thought........got me thinking now about an A4 avant. there seems to be more choice with A4's as well at the moment.

Didn't realise the Passat had a 4 motion model though, will keep my eye out for those. Is it available in Estate version? I take it, it will be a similar system to the Golf version.

My main reason for "going Audi" was the 4 wheel drive. There's not a lot of choice that ticks the boxes with other makes apart from the SUV type 4x4 at my £6k budget. I've ruled them out on economy. 500 miles a week, 45 weeks of the year just to get to work makes that an easy decision.

I've only budgeted £6k because its the 3rd car in our stable so not really wanting spend more on it. the first 2 are "The Toy", a 550hp Mustang and the other daily driver, the wife's Astra VXR.

SO........looks like an Allroad (my initial front runner) or an A4. A 2.5tdi is confirmed though.

Thanks guys.

Passat is based on the same Audi A6 chassis, so runs the same quattro drivechain but the wheelbase sits between A4 and A6. They are quite rare in 1.9TDI, so you are better off looking for the V6 2.5TDI 4motion, though even those are not that common. I think an A4 Avant in TDI Quattro trim is your best bet for your budget, unless you really want the extra space inside an A6/Allroad, which non of the others can match.

Passat is based on the same Audi A6 chassis, so runs the same quattro drivechain but the wheelbase sits between A4 and A6. They are quite rare in 1.9TDI, so you are better off looking for the V6 2.5TDI 4motion, though even those are not that common. I think an A4 Avant in TDI Quattro trim is your best bet for your budget, unless you really want the extra space inside an A6/Allroad, which non of the others can match.

Forgot to add, the A4 2.5 has more power than the VW version, which might sway your decision.

........ I think an A4 Avant in TDI Quattro trim is your best bet for your budget,..............

Been a quiet day at work so been doing a fair bit of browsing and I think it will be as you say. There's a lot more choice near home as well.

Thanks again