Looking for 3.0 TDI. What should I look for?

xs2man

Reaction score
Looking to replace the S4 with something a bit more sensible, so looking at a 3.0 TDI this weekend. Is there anything in particular to look for? Or is it just the basics? Servicing, bodywork etc...

These are very strong, durable cars. The only real issue with the 3.0TDi is that they are prone to premature wear of the inlet manifold swirl flap assemblies, particularly on the offside bank, near to the turbo. This makes very little difference to the way the engine runs - a fraction less low-down torque perhaps - but it causes the engine management light to come on. Ask any Audi dealer, and they will insist the only solution is to replace the entire assembly, which costs in the region of £700 per bank. If you speak to Fontain in Iver, they have devised a modification to the linkage that will solve the problem in most cases. They charge £225 for it, and guarantee the work for twelve months.

That aside, the 3.0TDi is an outstandingly good car. It'll never feel sporty like an S4, but it goes like the wind, and is effortless in the process. Personally, I think they are best suited to an auto box, but others will differ on that. The answer is to try both, and decide for yourself.

The engine was initially rated at 201bhp (204PS) at launch, but in late 2005, was uprated to 229bhp (233PS) when the TDV model was introduced, with a diesel particulate filter. I believe they can be re-mapped up to about 275bhp. They have monstrous amounts of torque, and of course they are all Quattros.

Oh, whether you get an SE or an S-Line, make sure you fit the rear anti-roll bar from the RS4. Parts cost less than £100, and only need a hour or so's labour to fit. It will transform the handling without affecting the ride.

Righto. Thanks for that. It'll likely be the 201 BHP I will be getting as I will be getting a cheaper one anyway. As I have little more money than I got for my S4. But thought it was time to try out a 6 cylinder diesel. So it is either the A4, or maybe a 330d, or a 535d. Always preferred the Audi though. Of course, there is a slight thought of madness about me to, and I am looking at a few Porsche Cayennes too.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Think I'm gonna go look at a 3.0 TDI this weekend, and we will see if we can come to an arrangement.

It also surprised me how cheap C32 AMG's are. Can you tell I perhaps aint quite ready for a 6 cylinder diesel afterall?

Well, had a look at it. The body was in good enough condition, and it drove quite well.

The car I looked at had 96k on it, about the same as my B6 S4. The gear changes felt REALLY slack though. I mean it went into gear easy enough and everything, but it felt proper loose. Anyone experienced this before?

I never took it away (although it was offered at a bargain price for one of these), just because of that gearbox really. Well, that and there wasn't a fuel computer on it (no DIS), and I thought that would have been standard on a 3.0 TDI S-Line. Especially as it had nav and full leather. Some weirdo must have originally spec'd the car up.

Whilst that may be the case, it is still a manual I'm looking at.

Is this common?

I mean the car was nice enough otherwise. Usual wear in the usual places, but still pretty much the cheapest one around.