1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at buying some new tools, advice needed.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by jackpilk, Apr 5, 2012.

1. jackpilk

jackpilk Member

I'm looking at buying some new tools, I've got a decent snap-on spanner set & socket set but I'm looking at buying some AF spanners & sockets, screw drivers, hammers etc to build up my collection.

I'd like more snap-on/ Bluepoint tools but they come with a price tag.

What would you recommend brand wise? What brands do you use? And which ones should I stay clear of?

Thanks
  2. BuckleyTDI

BuckleyTDI Member

No doubt some people will disagree but I use halfords professional only, as they come with life time warrenty. I've snapped Allen key sockets and just walked in there and exchanged them. Not questions asked. To me you can't really get better than that for price also there 75% cheaper than snap on.

James
  3. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

+1 for halfords tools, Snapon are living on their past rep, tools are now made in Taiwan or China, not USA. The Halfords stuff have the same lifetime warranty, and everyone has a Halfords near them right? so no brainer really!
  4. jackpilk

jackpilk Member

Cheers guys, I'l go have a look tomorrow. I'm assuming it's only the professional stuff that comes with a lifetime guarantee?
  5. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Anything with Halford's printed on it I think? Always look online to see if there are any deals on, and try and find a friend with a Halfords discount card, I got my Pro 150 piece set for 90 quid or something? and purchased myself a 3ft breaker bar with my savings, which was again discounted!
  6. jay1601

jay1601 Active Member

Draper expert
    Halfords professional (the lifetime warranty doesn't cover moving parts)
    Facom
  7. L33h

L33h Member

+1 for Halfords Pro tools.

Ive heard there made with exactly the same stuff as Snap-on tools. Could be wrong tho
  8. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Active Member

I usually go for halfords professional, however - I have purchased some "Bergen" tools from ebay over the past few months (ratchets, sockets.etc) - I am quite impressed with them.
    I originally purchased a 1/2" ratchet from them for less than £15 - before I purchased any more "Bergen" tools I gave the ratchet some stick - used a hammer and the ratchet to loosen nuts.etc and gave me no issues.
  9. S3 JOHN

S3 JOHN Member

Kennedy professional tools are good for the money . Have a look on the Cromwell website