Looking at buying B7 S4 - Advice plx

Av4nt

Reaction score
Hi,

Used 2005 Audi S4 S4 QUATTRO for sale in Essex | Pistonheads

I am looking into buying the above. I am NEW to the contemplation of an S4 and when it comes to asking the important questions and having a test drive..what am I looking for to avoid? I have a 2.0 TDI at moment so things will be different!

I am aware these run on timing chains and not belts... other than if its ever snapped or had major work to the tensioners etc what should I check for in regards to this? Also never had an auto before, what to look/listen for with gearbox opposed to manual?

Anything generally that would make you say.. hell no!

Cheers

Good luck with your intended purchase Matey. Am no expert as this Forum can confirm , however, for starters I would want a full documented service book....and nothing less. These engines are deadly to your wallet if someone goes wrong. if it's a chain cam driven stay clear of any sound of rattle on start up, as I understand that that's a clue that the chains are f#cked! Not a big fan of auto boxes, but I would be checking that all sounds right with no noises when driving. Lastly, make sure every switch and control works. Not sure of the service intervals on this engine. Check for rust on inside of front wings are rear quarter panels at the bumper/ wheel arch.

Am sure someone will be along soon with better advice....main thing, don't rush keep a cool head.... it's a buyers market and lots to choose from in the UK.

BR
A

Thanks for that. I wondered if the rattle would pop up here. According to other forums.. rattle on startup was disclosed a "acceptable and normal" by audi themselves. I personally have nl clue as to how correct that is but this is the joy on conflicting accounts i guess.

Aye, well Audi's rep with chain cam engines isn't great....apart from the old classic 1.9tdi engine. Audi also told me that the rust popping up on all my wings and rear hatch door is acceptable too! hahaha
Just keep your wits about you, can't you find a Forum Mate who has more knowledge on these engines....also take along someone with a VAG reader and laptop to check for any codes coming up...

I think a rattle on start up is ok as the chain tensioner is hydraulic and needs a bit of oil pressure to work it, if it keeps rattling I would avoid.
Auto box, make sure you see the receipts of proof that the oil has been changed at the service intervals, mines every 40k. Make sure it selects all the gears without a clunk or jerk, try the manual selector while driving and check they all change.

I think this has paddle gear shifts right? if I go check it out I shall indeed check every inch of it. finding a VAG reader to take with me will be an *** though!

i have owned a b6 s4 for 8 years now and am well aware of what to look for on these cars

first and foremost
chain rattle on start up
if it rattles for anything longer than a second on a cold start up walk away and find another one
there are things on the market which eliminate the chain rattle so try and find a car which has a system fitted

clutch on the manual gearboxes is weak and most have a device fitted to stop you from dumping the clutch
auto gearboxes are supposedly filled for life .... but any carefull and cautious owner will have ignored this advice and had the oil and filter changed on the gearbox and diffs also

climate control is a known problem as its unique to this vehicle
the compressor is shaft driven off the timing chain ... shafts are designed to fail if the compressor clutch fails and locks up
but other owners have had the gear drive fail ...this requires a full timing chain rebuild to be put right

front wings are notorius for not having enough paint on them to protect them properly

front auxillary radiators are known for rusting if leaves and debris get into the air intakes

Thanks for that... full timing chain rebuild. doesnt sound fun at all lol! timing chains at the back of engine right?.. means kaching!!

if you keep the engine serviced properly on the correct oil audi reccomend you change the timing chain and components at 300,000 miles yes thats right 300,000 miles

internally they are a very very strong engine and other failures are exceptionally rare

the one thing you must do with these engines is ensure the timing chain doesn't slap or rattle any longer than necessary
as the internal guides are plastic and eventually over time they wear and break and this is what causes the chain to go loose and screw the engine

to replace a chain you buy a kit which can contain the very basics or everything they range from £1200 to £3500 for the parts alone
and thats without labour
timing chain is at the back of the engine and requires engine to be removed completely from vehicle

thats interesting dualmono, 300,000 is alot! id be surprised if nothing needed replacing ebfore that sort of mileage!
when you say making sure it doesnt slap or rattle excessively... is this something the driver can actually control or more a case of anything that sounds like a rattle more than it should, get checked out asap?

he can control it in so far as he controls what oil is used in the car
and without doubt the best investment you can make for one of these cars is an oil accumulator
if you add an electric valve to the accumulator so as when you turn on the ignition the pressurised oil accumulator pumps oil round the car and pressurises the tensioners then you wont hear any rattle at all ... no rattle = no wear on the guides

And aside from thins that go wrong with cars, are they reliable motors? Is it worth worrying too much about things going wrong lol

Depends how rich you are! ;)
I've been pretty lucky so far touch wood and in 2 years have not had any problems at all! The only money spent has been tyres, oil and mods. It's a 2006 and it had 40k odd on it when I bought it. It's a manual so can't comment on Auto box.
As above, chain rattle for longer than a couple of seconds would be bad. Mine has always rattled (just for a second or so) and most of the other folk with S4's I know also rattle. Audi says its normal, other folk say it's a time bomb bla bla.. Who knows? If it lets go then oh well! lol It's only money!! ;)
Looks like the car in the link's got an aftermarket exhaust, probably a Miltek? Once you hear that thing start up all common sense will be out the window anyway and you'll probably forget all about that rattling and hand over your cash! lol

oil accumulator parts are not that expensive
for the accumulator itself your looking at around £250-350 depending on size
you also have a choice of manual or electric valves the electric ones will cost around £100
a hose with the proper connections will be about £50
and it depends on where you pipe it into the engine
you can get a proper oil cap fitting from the states which has the correct sized fitting in it to pipe it all up
the cap itself is around £150

Have had mine for over 2 years now and it's never missed a beat! Have had a few niggles and electrical gremlins, but that was down to some mods which I had done! Mines an auto/tiptronic box and have been told by Audi SEVERAL times, it's a sealed unit and therefore does not need fluid changing! Would say, spend a little extra for the right one and the right spec. Which model are you wanting in particular....saloon/cabriolet/avant?

had mine for 4 and a bit years now, and as per above.. the odd sensor failure etc, and other probs caused by me doing mods!

the single main thing to be aware of is the oil usage (especially if you rev this lazy V8).. ive never had a car that uses this much oil!!

goose

some use oil some dont
mine doesnt use a drop of oil
as for the tiptronic gearboxes being sealed units .... audi told me exactly the same thing
the problem being the tiptronic gearbox is a lot more popular stateside and a whole host of them starting going wrong after around 120,000 miles
unfortunately for them the gearboxes were that worn that they had to buy new ones and audi were hit and miss about compensating people for it as its supposedly a non service item
after this people took it upon themselves to change the oil and filter in them and from there on in there have been very very few failures
to change the oil and filter on the gearbox is about £200 as the oil is expensive per liter but a new gearbox is just under £6000
put it this way i would definitely buy another tiptronic but i wouldn't buy one if it hadn't got proof of having the gearbox oil changed

Hi mate despite the fact my ads have lapsed my B7 S4 is still for sale. PM me if you want more info.

Thanks

Will