Looking at buying an S3 (£6.5k)

Els

Reaction score
Hi guys, just signed up here as I am on the hunt for an S3.

Realistically what sort of car will I be able to get with my budget of 6.5k?

Any other hints and tips would be great, meanwhile I will find out what I can!

Times are changing fast these days. The best thing would be to see a number of S3 and gage your own idea of what people want and how much they want and if possible how much they do eventually sell (dealers & private)- and remember anyone can ask anything, but it doesn't mean they will get it. Don't be afraid to put any bid you think is educated & reasonable for the car and walk away if your both not happy.

Any problems occuring on your test run or if you see brakes need doing, etc then simply factor those prices in if you really like the car and bid on it.
I once test drove a car thoroughly (dual carrigae way too and left idle for 15 min after) and it overheated. I still ended up buying it due to its overall original condition.

And always take someone who knows about cars (body & mechanics). Most cars I see kinda look really clean and shiny, but I've been so often proved wrong .

I do remember reading on this forum not so long ago where someone had bought an S3 off the dealer and negotiated something like 2K off !!! and managed to do get a lot of extra mechanicla work done too. Now that's what you call a result - OR was he asking way too much in the first place ?? Who knows I am studying prices at the moment.

And good luck.

Last edited:
I see you're in West Sussex. Whereabouts because I might be selling mine and I'm pretty local to you it would seem.

Thanks for all the advice chaps, I definitely need to go and check a few out.

I am in Worthing mate, is that near to you?

I'm in Crawley, so not too far.

What kind of age/mileage/colour are you looking for?

Ideally after a BAM engined one, mileage I am not too concerned about, more on history and condition. Colour wise I am flexible, but full black leather is a must.

If any friend was asking me he was after an S3 then I too would say make sure it was/has:
a. facelift model
b. 225 engine
c. full black leather
d. absolutely any colour of car you are happy to be seen in. (recommend ming blue :icon_thumright: )

Nice rarities to have:
heated front seats
chrome mirrors

Personally: unmolested vehicle - shock horror from everyone here !

Doesn't matter about the belt/water pump 80k not being changed - again, simply factor it into the price. I think it's probably around the £500 (?) The disks and pads on rear are about £250 (?). Use these as negotiating values if you can see they need doing. Don't forget many would be selling there's as it approaches that service interval because it is expensive.

history is good to have and they certainly add value - just don't rely on it, it only takes the last owner a very short period of time to drive it like a lunatic. Check it as thoroughly as though you were buying one without it. You might want to also confirm any service stamps as being the genuine article with the dealer themselves. I know of one which were not quite what they appeared (another story there).

Personally I put condition of car body at highest level and remember to take someone who knowledgable.

Last edited:
for a little more than 6.5k, my a3 big turbo could be available. 370bhp 4wd

I recently bought a Nogaro S3 for £6995.

Facelift 225, mint full black leather interior, full service history, 61k on the clock, non-bose, arm-rest and absolutely 100% original. Wheels could do with a refurb and it's had a schocking 'smart repair' at some point in it's life so needs to see a man with a spray gun. Other than that, it's pretty much spot on.

You'd be looking at something like the above but I can't help feeling like I got a wee bit of a bargain. I'd hold out and wait for a good one in the spec you're after (I really wanted noggy w/blue alacantara but I just couldn't hold out).

What are the main advantages of the BAM engine? I have read that after a re-map, both engines give near identical performance.

Regarding tuning further than just a re-map, does the AMK engine have any limitations compared to the BAM?

If i were you i would forget the idea of searching for a bam engined one. 210 and 225 are very very difficult to tell apart as standard and both remap to the same figure so its either or in that department too IMO. The only must for me was that it had to be a facelift version looks streets ahead I reckon and colour is just down to personal choice.

The only other thing I would say is dont be scared to walk away if something is not quite right because for that money you should find a decent example good luck with the hunt mate