1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at buying a 2002 S3 225bhp

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jonny taylor, Jan 6, 2010.

1. jonny taylor

jonny taylor JPT

[Jan 6, 2010]
    I am thinking of getting an S3 in the near future and I was wondering if there are any issues or problem areas I should check for?

I did have a 2001 51 reg 1.8t fwd and mine had the corrosion on the roof near the channels. I have also seen and read about
    the doors rusting on this forum so I know to look for those areas.

I heard that there was some sort of problems with the rear washer jets (leaking or something)??

The car I am after will be 60-65,000 miles on the clock so I will need to check for the cambelt and water pump but what else is there?

Any help would be much appriciated, thanks

Jonny :sm4::icon_thumright:
  2. jonny taylor

jonny taylor JPT

3. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Jan 7, 2010]
    Hi Jonny and welcome....general stuff to look for are obviously creamy oil (possible head gasket)..... breaks in pipework beneath the engine cover, id personally take a laptop with vagcom to scan for fault codes..... rear washer jets are prone to either pipe splits or the nozzle breaking...... any knocking from the suspension, make sure the 4wd system works...the usual stuff really.....

once you have it id suggest changing ya plugs, DV and few cheap basics to be on the safe side and make sure it has had a haldex oil and filter change on the rear diff as this can come close to £100 from a mechanic if you can find one who knows what they are doing

theres prob a few other bits ive missed....good luck ;)
  4. sportquattro

sportquattro Active Member

[Jan 7, 2010]
    As above but also check for roof rail corrossion and go for the best one you can find avoid cheap dogs