Looking at an A8

jayw

Reaction score
I have always like the A8, and now i have a chance to buy one for daily use.

I have been looking at Autotrader and there seems to be a lot of choice given my budget (6K) however i will be doing a lot of mileage so i was looking at the 2.8 engine as it seems to return a better fuel figure, although the 2.8 doesn't seem to get as many toys as say the 4.2, so the decision was to go for a sport model as it has the nicer wheels and the recaro interior

From experience can anyone tell me if there are any issues with the 2.8 engine, i have looked on audipages and this engine isn't really commented on

are there any issues that i should be aware of? most of the cars i am looking at have covered 100K+, i know they will go on for a lot more than that, but would like to go into this purchase with my eyes wide open.

Thanks for your help

I bought a 3.7ltr because of fuel consumption. Its as bad as the 4.2! The 4.2 has longer gearing I think so you get the mpg back. The sport in the model to go for. Audipages is the place to look for buyers guide and maintainance. You have pm!

I think the fuel consumption is a non issue between the modles, unless your ragging the 4.2 it's probably the same if not better than the others as it's having to do so little work. I think they're very reliable from what I've read however if things do go wrong they can be very expensive to fix!

Good luck and pics please when you get one!

go for the 4.2 as there is virtually no difference in economy,if you can get one with lpg you are laughing expect to pay a little more but if you do make sure you have the fitting certificate.i run lpg on a 4.2 and im getting 22mpg at the bargain price of 39p per litre wich is cheaper then running an average two litre car

I've had a 2.8 engine in an A4 Quattro Tiptronic, and so long as you follow the basic rules (regular maintenance, oil changes, cam belt & water pump changes, etc), it's pretty bullet-proof. I've no experience of it in the A8, though. I know it's got a aluminium body, but it's still a lot of weight to haul around. To my mind, if you're gonna go for an A8, you might as well go it properly, and get a V8.

I went from a 2.7 Bi-turbo to an A8 4.2 QS. I love it! deffo get the 4.2 sport model! the 2.8 was sluggish, 3.7 was a bit better but the fuel consumption is the same if not slightly worse than the 4.2! so in the end it was a 4.2 for me. Sport over non sport models due to the lowered, sports suspension, recaro sports seats and lots of toys!

Paid 4.5k for my '97 A8 with 86K FSH! Keep hunting, you will find one with low miles in good condition. Took me 4 months and trawling all over the country to view and test drive them!

I just got a 98 2.8 model - seems to have plenty of toys and its not some super edition - rear heated seats, floor lighting all that.. so far seems smooth and dandy

I'm now on my second A8 :o.k:

My first was a D2 shape 4.2Q (2000 reg) I bought that at 2ysr old with 92k on the clock, I took a bit of a risk I know, but at the price it was I couldn't resist. As it happened it wa the second best car I have ever owned. As for fuel consumption... guess it depends on how many miles you do but I averaged about 23-25mpg and even averaged 31mpg on a trip down through France. It was very reliable right up until I sold it with 150k on the clock. In the time I had it it only needed a new thermostat, a front suspension control arm and a fuel pump. Not at all bad I think :icon_thumright:

My current car is a D3 shape 4.2Q which I have now owned for a year and again absolutely love it. This one has all the toys and is the best car I have ever owned. I'll bore you with some pics soon. The important thing to consider is service history foremost and find the right options for you.

If I was to make the same choices again I would def go for the 4.2 again, the 3.7 is very similar but a bit less go, the 2.8 IMHO just hasn't got the necessary power for the size of car, and you may well wish you had gone for the V8.

I totally agree with the lpg route if you do enough miles to warrent it.

So, go for the 4.2... with over 300BHP it is one great big starship of the road.