1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor HELP!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by matboh s3, Oct 26, 2010.

1. matboh s3

matboh s3 New Member

basicly ... its booked into audi to have this replaced on thursday , but ive searched the internet and found exactly were it is and how to change it and ive found somewere to buy one from . But what ive stumbled across is someone saying after replacing it , the sensor will need callibrating..ive only seen this on one post , is this right? . or is it literally plug it in and its all done ? ....help asap before audi take £280 of my moneys!
  2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

Not sure on the calibrating but it will be still cheaper to fit yourself and take it to a garage with vagcom?
  3. mattmackenzie

mattmackenzie Member

had the same problem and fixed it, did not reset it works fine. Do a search there was a post not long ago. If you dont want to fix it just buy the sensor and change it yourself and save 180 notes.
    It would take audi 15 minutes to do, not a bad hourly rate for them!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

i agree with the above. piece of cake. i got sensor for £117.
  5. leey

leey New Member

I changed both my longitudinal + latitude sensor on my s3 took about an hour at the most to do, most of the time spent was re-fitting the interior trim panels
    so it lined up sweet.
  6. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Definitely a DIY job. If you've got small hands you can even do it without removing the lower dash.
  7. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

DIY FTW. Thats a lot of money for a simplistic job.
  8. S18KER

S18KER New Member

where is it you are buy it from?

Need to do mine but dont want to pay Audi for it.
  9. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

I think it is a dealer only part.
  10. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

Has anybody tried taking one apart? has they seem expensive, could they be fixable?
  11. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

yes they have, there was a link post on here not long ago to a german fella who had done it and fixed the problem. i took my old one apart though and in the end you'd have to break it out, and re solder it in. weather it will work is a gamble though. il try find the link now.............

BLUEVISIONS
    there ya go
  12. Hadders

Hadders Member

Just so we get this straight. The longitudinal is behind the glovebox. The latitudinal is the one under the steering wheel. I fell fowl of this one.
  13. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

correct. i first thought the other way around, until i unplugged one on steering column and lateral went mad.
  14. westcoast a3

westcoast a3 Member

could anyone post some pic of where they are and hat they look like i also have this prob thankx
  15. Duktor

Duktor Member

what do these sensors do and what are they for ?? how would you know if they were faulty ?
  16. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

scanning for faults would prove they're faulty, you would get a fault that looks like this...
    01279 - Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor (G251)
    27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

also, in the link above that i posted, shows pictures of what they look like.

the lateral acceleration sensor is located under the steering column to the left of it, its held in a gold bracket, cant miss it, the sensor is put in facing left to right(there is arrows to show its configuration) hence lateral.

the longitudinal is located behind the glovebox, held in the same bracket, again cant miss this one as there isnt much else. this is configured front to back, hence longitudinal.

the two sensors are used so that the abs knows how much brake and where to apply it based on your speed and direction. which would explain esp and abs lights coming on.

hope this helps.