1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

longer time for engine to turnover / battery query

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Molnboman, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Molnboman

Molnboman Well-Known Member

Hej

Can anyone throw some light on this query. Been noticing the car taking slightly longer to turn over first thing in the morning these days. Once warmed and been driving for a bit it starts as normal. Normally, it's turn of the key and action...all through the winter no issues and now it's Spring and things are bit warmer too...which has got me curious. I checked the battery with a voltmeter and it's reading 12.5v after a charge and 13.5v -13.6v on charge with headlights & radio on.
    Can anyone help me out here....is my battery on the way out or something more serious. Not sure how old the battery is.....am guessing a couple of years by the looks of it. I have had the car since May of last year and we have had the usual, long winter but nothing extreme....and I have a DEFA engine heater fitted too. My money is on the battery but I bow to your superior knowledge and expertise!

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers
    A
  2. rowdyboy

rowdyboy Member

Yes, mine was exactly the same, just before it gave up the ghost. Best to replace it now, before the car is just dead and stranded.
    I think you saw my thread from a week ago and commented.
  3. Molnboman

Cheers rowdyboy....that's what am thinking myself....funny, when you had your issues, mine was perfect....it's sod's law that now the weather has got better my battery decides chuck it! ....Jaysus, they cost a friggin bomb up here too!....

Cheers
    Allan
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  4. Big Al

Big Al A4 2.0T FSI Quattro

Hi Allan, yes I saw the same issues with mine before it failed recently. Often a big temperature change does affect car batteries. Best to get it changed now than break down!
  5. Molnboman

Cheers Big Al, yes my mind is made up....hoping to get a deal on an OEM one....if not, it will by a cheapo......btw a cheapo is 100 quid up here.....there goes my beer tokens! :sadlike:
  6. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

Find someone with TPS access or a Halfords trade card. A £100 battery comes down to about £60 on average.
  7. rowdyboy

rowdyboy Member

I think the shipping costs Sweden may just wipe out any savings!!!!
    Mike.M and Molnboman like this.
  8. Molnboman

Yep, battery f@cked confirmed....while I was having my summer tyres changes the battery died.....f$ck and I had arranged to get a deal on a VAG battery for 80 quid too but had to wait 2 weeks for it. Now it's gonna cost me 150 quid! Don't you just hate it when that happens?! Well, looking on the bright side, the car was faultless through the Winter and started first time every time during the cold dark spell.....so can't complain really.

Cheers
    A
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  9. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Azeem

What battery you going for, OEM or Bosch? (They may even be the same with different labels lol).
  10. Molnboman

Not sure I let my mechanic choose....always an expensive decision.....They are all Varta from these Dudes.....am so pissed that I couldn't have waited two weeks for the OEM VAG job. Cest la vie!
    decision.....Batterier - Personbil
  11. Mike B

Mike B Member

Down here we have scrappers who sell batteries cheap so I always like to keep one spare.Easier to use if you need to jump start another as we did this week when my sons S3 died on him in the garage
  12. Molnboman

That's a great idea. unfortunately I don't have a garage, otherwise I would do that trick too!
    Cheers
    A
  13. mm707

mm707 Member

14. Molnboman

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  15. Molnboman

Sorted....the garage got me a cracking deal on some super duper Varta special job for cars with lots of electric bits apparently...must mean vibros! hahaha and only 85 Swedish quid....which believe it or not is a feckin bargain!

Yours electrically
    MM
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  16. mm707

mm707 Member

Is it starting better now ?

Mine takes a good few turns to start 1st time when it's cold but the engine seems to be turning over pretty normal speed.

Battery has been on it from new though so that's almost 6 years
  17. Molnboman

Yes Mate, 100% back to normal. May I suggest you save up some beer tokens to buy a replacement battery....you are very lucky to get 6 years out of a battery. I was surprised how quickly mine died...really fast, less than 24hours actually, so don't be like me and get caught out...Actually, never known a car to chuck a battery so quick. Normally, you get some tell tale signs but on the A4 they just seem to die without warning!

Cheers
    A
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013