Locking wheel nuts issue

foz11

Reaction score
Evening,

Just decided to investigate my rattle issue near front wheel, i think it could be the metal plate behind the disk knocking on something, while trying to get wheel off some tit has put the bolts on way too tight managed to loosen them all then got onto the locking wheel nut, was pushing and pushing then movement...locking key thing dropped off and it was in bits as in the middle has disintegrated!

Looking on ebay i can see the one that looks like mine, but are they all the same? its like this

Audi / VW locking wheel nut key socket bolts Q | eBay UK

but are they definitely the same? if they are how secure are my wheels really if i can just buy something off ebay to remove them lol

foz this is fossie.

Your locking wheel key has a letter stamped on it. If it is 'Q' then the ebay one is the one you want !

There are at least 34 different keys and, in theory, you are the only one who knows which key your car uses ! Unless a thief has all 34 he can't be sure !

You can buy a full set of locking bolts with key in any of the 34 combinations from Audi for about £25

ahh the mike foster with the knowledge lol that makes sense mate, il pop into Audi Thursday as im working about 250 yds away so will be handy...dont know how someone has got the locking wheel nut on so tight in the first place without it breaking!

Just hope i dont get a flat tyre in next few days or im stuck ;)

I've had to get two replacement locking nuts, £28 was the trade price from the dealers.

They are made from crap material, i found its very easy to shear the teeth off them unless your using an impact wrench.

hoping to get one tomorrow, but im thinking about getting some different ones as it is a bit shoddy falling to bits

Don't use an impact wrench what ever you do, use a longer breaker bar and make sure the locking wheen nut is on square