Locking wheel nut sheared

JonnyG

Reaction score
I was putting my Winter alloys and tyres on today. The back ones went on fine but the front wheel bolts were extremely tight to remove and the locking one has sheared and the adaptor (key) just turns and turns with no grip now :(

It seems to be both the inside pattern of the locking nut and the removal adaptor key that have sheared.

Result being I have two rear winter alloys on but no front ones on yet !

Does anyone know the solution and how big a job to remove said nut ?

I guess a trip to my Audi dealer is required ?

you can buy the new lockers and keys from audi
or trip to the local fitters have then ripped off and buy some good ones

Cheers, yes I have a spare set of decent McGard locking nuts to put on

....its just how to get the sheared bolt loosened that is the problem.

Worth a visit to whoever (re)fitted the wheels last, because it sounds like they ignored the recommended torque setting.

Sounds like someone swinging on the wrench over tightening them. 120 Nm on the torque wrench.

Reactions: 45bvtc
DON't trust any of 'em Phil! Go get a decent torque wrench and ALWAYS CHECK and/or tighten 'em yourself!

Go see the thread: TORQUE tightening of RS3 wheel bolts to 120Nm

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
The picture is missing. Don't know why. But one of the locking wheel nuts is missing and has been replaced
I have a torque wrench and torqued them to 120nm

On a side note, anyone know where to get the tool for removing the plastic wheel nut covers, it looks like a peg?

The picture is missing. Don't know why. But one of the locking wheel nuts is missing and has been replaced
I have a torque wrench and torqued them to 120nm

On a side note, anyone know where to get the tool for removing the plastic wheel nut covers, it looks like a peg?

I bought a set set brand new with removal tool from ebay, if I remember it was from a VW dealer as they are used across different car ranges.

Think it it was about £10.

Only replaced them as the ones on my car had started to turn white, tried cleaning them up but wasn't satisfied.

Another word of caution as some wheel bolts have a tapered seat while others are spherical so make sure you're using the appropriate wheel bolt for your wheels... :unsure: Just a thought :think:

My problem is now sorted :thumbsup:

In less than five minutes this company removed all four OEM Audi locking wheel nuts (seeing as my key had rounded / sheared as well).

A very quick, clean and safe procedure ... just as in the video ...

Locking Wheel Nut Remover | Wheel Nut Removal Kit from - Dynomec Ltd

The tool is cushioned against the alloy with lots of soft PVC tape and there is very little chance of alloy damage.

Reactions: ex911driver and T-800