Locking the car

a3_phil

Reaction score
Just a quick one as the manual doesn't seem to give the info.

Do you only need to press the lock button on the remote (normal key) once to fully lock the car?

Every car I've had previously has had 'two modes' if you like, with one press locking the doors and the second press setting the alarm or engaging the deadlocks.

I understand the unlock process (driver only for me and two presses for all), but I'm just unclear on the locking.

Reactions: Snibo
Automatically deadlocked on the first press, deactivate deadlocks (to allow someone already inside to be able to open the door) on the second press.

Reactions: veeeight
If doing a double click to lock then this also disables the interior volumetric sensor eg a dog inside won't set off the alarm.

So if I've been double-pressing the lock button I've actually been leaving the car less safe then with one press!

doh!

Yes, the Audi system seems to be the reverse of many other manufacturers !

If doing a double click to lock then this also disables the interior volumetric sensor eg a dog inside won't set off the alarm.

Really? I've been reading this wrong too then. I thought you had to push the button on the edge of the door frame to do that?

Interesting about the deadlocks being dis-engaged on the 2nd press. All other cars I've had also enable the deadlocks on the 2nd press !

I don't think it does anything to do with the alarm, it does disable the deadlocks when you press twice though, which is really odd behaviour IMO. Should at least be made a setting in the MMI!

Double-press on the lock button does indeed disable the interior volumetric sensors, and disables the deadlocks.

Why?

It's by design!

Say you are filling up with fuel, and the other half is in the car sleeping. When you want to go off and pay, you double-press the lock button.

This is so:

1. No one can get into the car
2.. In an emergency the other half can get out of the car, if the car was deadlocked, they could not get out of the car
3. It diables the interior volumetric sensors (but not perimeter sensors) so that any movement of the person inside the car, will not set off the alarm!

My only beef with this, is that the logic is the reverse of many/most other manufacturers, ie: it should be double press to deadlock.

So glad I've read this, I've been doing this wrong for months! Would've thought the dealer would've made it clear, or the car displays some sort of message giving a warning

So glad I've read this, I've been doing this wrong for months! Would've thought the dealer would've made it clear, or the car displays some sort of message giving a warning

Your dealer should have talked you through this during the handover !

And yes, there is a warning in the DIS - everytime you pull out the key, it gives you a warning about deadlocks, and please read the manual !!! ;)

Your dealer should have talked you through this during the handover !

And yes, there is a warning in the DIS - everytime you pull out the key, it gives you a warning about deadlocks, and please read the manual !!! ;)
He did give a thorough talk through about the car, but nothing about locking the car.

Pfft who reads manuals these days ;) I'm more of a hands on person anyway. I have noticed the mmi message about deadlocks but I can't say I pay too much attention to it aha :)

Why?

It's by design!

Say you are filling up with fuel, and the other half is in the car sleeping. When you want to go off and pay, you double-press the lock button.

This is so:

1. No one can get into the car
2.. In an emergency the other half can get out of the car, if the car was deadlocked, they could not get out of the car
3. It diables the interior volumetric sensors (but not perimeter sensors) so that any movement of the person inside the car, will not set off the alarm!

My only beef with this, is that the logic is the reverse of many/most other manufacturers, ie: it should be double press to deadlock.

Like you, I'm not questioning the safety features - just the daft logic compared to other cars.

I'm pretty confident it doesn't mention this in the manual as I looked it up specifically.

(though I stand to be corrected)

I went out and tried this in the work car park - got a few funny looks whilst waving around in a locked car but hey....

Double press of fob:. Waiting 1 minute then waving arms from inside car did not set off alarm. Doors locked but can be opened from inside.

Single press: doors deadlocked & interior door handles are disengaged so don't work. Bizarrely I could not set off the interior sensors either, even when waving about after waiting for 1 minute.

So, either the interior sensor works in some fancy way to prevent false alarms or my volumetric sensor is broken. Can someone else check as above?

John.

Oops, I've been doing it wrong as well.
I've been double-pressing thinking I was making the car more secure.

Understand the logic, although don't understand why Audi chose the opposite to the majority of other Manufacturers.

Another excellent lesson / update gleaned from this Site.
(Thanks a3_phil for raising this question)

Why do they have the boot auto-lock too? Sounds a disaster waiting to happen for locking your keys in the boot.

Reactions: Compkiler
Like you, I'm not questioning the safety features - just the daft logic compared to other cars.

I atually think the logic is wrong in the other manufacuters cars..makes more sense to only use one click to leave the car in the safest (from a secutity perpsective) position and then do something in addition to back off.....you dont double press the brake before it engages!!!!!!!!

Reactions: irowpod, Martinbanshee, Compkiler and 1 other person
I atually think the logic is wrong in the other manufacuters cars..makes more sense to only use one click to leave the car in the safest (from a secutity perpsective) position and then do something in addition to back off.....you dont double press the brake before it engages!!!!!!!!

Real drivers do brake twice. Also clutch three times and then handbrake either 5 or 15 times. Indicators for twice the number of handbrakes and then horn either 2 or three times depending on whether the date is a prime number or not.

Or is that OCD drivers?

Reactions: BGS
I'm pretty confident it doesn't mention this in the manual as I looked it up specifically.

(though I stand to be corrected)

It's in both the hardcopy manual (Page 41) AND the onbroard manual.

QCDSN4s.jpg

PkcyYtE.jpg

bfsYYoK.jpg

pdC94iD.jpg

Single press: doors deadlocked & interior door handles are disengaged so don't work. Bizarrely I could not set off the interior sensors either, even when waving about after waiting for 1 minute.

So, either the interior sensor works in some fancy way to prevent false alarms or my volumetric sensor is broken. Can someone else check as above?

John, I just tried this. Single press, doors deadlocked, waited 30 secs, waved arms about, alarm and hazards activated.

Reactions: JohnM100
Real drivers do brake twice. Also clutch three times and then handbrake either 5 or 15 times. Indicators for twice the number of handbrakes and then horn either 2 or three times depending on whether the date is a prime number or not.

Or is that OCD drivers?

Forgot to add to check the rear view mirror 5 times and each wing mirror twice before starting any of the aboe

Yes, but lots of people will accidentally leave the car in the less secure mode without realising, eg pressing the lock button, car locks but they didn't see whether it did or not so they try again.

Would have made far more sense to disable the deadlocks etc on a long press of the lock button, not just after 2 normal presses.

Hmm, well I know now but it's not mentioned in the printed manual sections you quote as (unless I've gone properly blind) it doesn't talk about two key presses or one key press at any time. Only the online manual mentions that (which, in fairness, I hadn't checked).

John, I just tried this. Single press, doors deadlocked, waited 30 secs, waved arms about, alarm and hazards activated.

Thanks for checking Veeeight.

Went out and tried it again, and put an ignition cycle in there just to be safe. Single press to lock and then waving arms set the volumetric sensor off, so thankfully no trip to dealer needed. Phew.

John.

The boot auto lock IS a disaster waiting to happen.
I try not to use the boot release on the fob.....just stick with double click for all doors and boot.

Just get one with advanced key, then you have nothing to worry about ;)

The boot auto lock IS a disaster waiting to happen.
I try not to use the boot release on the fob.....just stick with double click for all doors and boot.
The advanced key saved me with this the other day! If it detects the key is in the boot then it lets you open it again.

Hmm, well I know now but it's not mentioned in the printed manual sections you quote as (unless I've gone properly blind) it doesn't talk about two key presses or one key press at any time. Only the online manual mentions that (which, in fairness, I hadn't checked).

Properly blind! ? :p

Page 41
Second Column
Second Paragraph

It is possible to deactivate the safelock etc etc.

- Press the lock button on the remote control key a second time within 2 seconds.

Also:

Page 44
First Column
Near the bottom

- To lock the vehicle without activating the safelock mechanism, press the lock button a second time within 2 seconds.

Also:

Page 45
First Column

You get the idea ;)

Last edited:
It's a miracle I can manage to dress myself some morning....

I stand corrected.

In my (albeit pathetic) defense, all my manual investigations were pretty much on the day of collection so my attention was clearly elsewhere!

my mk6 GTI, was the same - 1st press, activated deadlocks and internal sensors, 2nd press deactivated both.

Does the facility to unlock only the driver's door with one press and all doors with two have any effect on all this? Presumably not, as this discussion is all about locking as opposed to unlocking.

When you open all the doors by double pressing, should your boot open? I have to keep the boot button pressed for 2 seconds which is a pain if I'm already in the car with the engine running and the misses wants something from the boot. And you can't open it with the key still in the ignicain you you have to turn the engine off...

In the situation above, press the CL unlock button on the drivers door interior trim panel.

It will unlock all doors including the boot.