1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locking Nut Key - Mangled! Need replacement and help ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by tates1979, Feb 3, 2011.

1. tates1979

tates1979 Member

[Feb 3, 2011]
    Right folks - MOT on Thursday of next week.

Need 2 new tyres on the back wheels (standard 16" - original wheels).

The wheel on the back left was ceased on and the locking nut key sheared and came off - now i cant get the wheel off!

So i will need a replacement nut key to get the wheels off in the future (don't care about locking nuts in the future - they're the bog standard ones) - apparently there are several different iterations of the key - my one has seven spokes to it (if you get my meaning) - is there any way of identifying which one i need? I don't want to go to the Stealers and get charged an astronomical fee!

Thanks in advance for your help

:crying:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Feb 3, 2011]
    local tyre shop will get them off for a few quid
    and supply you with new bolts to replace the lockers
  4. Cyrix

Cyrix Member

[Feb 3, 2011]
    I've a full set of genuine wheelbolts/locking bolts with key on ebay currently......

As for removing them, find a multi-point socket slightly smaller than the locking bolt, attach socket to an extension bar, hit extension bar with large hammer until it is forced onto the key then remove as you would a normal bolt.

I think the last time I had to do this it was either a 17mm or 19mm socket, in typical fashion the locking key appeared about 5 mins later.......
  5. phil76

phil76 Active Member

[Feb 3, 2011]
    The dealers can match your locking nut key up and order one as there are only so many different patterns
  6. PaulTheo

PaulTheo Member

[Feb 3, 2011]
    Try here Home - ZakParts you can work out which key you need from the pictures as well.