locked out Allroad C5

brimley mill

Reaction score
Hi all,Loosing hair rapidly over this, your help would be very much appreciated !!!Originally drivers door handle needed to be lifted right to the end of its travel if not a couple of times to open the door.....Found the black adjuster and adjusted probably by 2/3 mm if that, all worked fine and much better with latch releasing around 2/3 of the door handle travel, this was done when door open - must have operated the latch and opening process a dozen times or more and all OK if not better than the other door operations. (the black adjuster I could see that the rod had either slipped or someone had been there before me......).All connections were replaced as was the internal handle cable as they should and refitted the door card.Closed the door and Now the the door wont open either from the inside or out.Central locking via internal buttons all OK as are the windows....... more confusing is that all the remote locking features via the key also work fine.Can anyone give me some idea as to what is happening and how to repair this, and more importantly how do I open the door when closed with door card in place ?????Many thanks for you help and guidance.....Jonathan

Jonathan, try hitting the door with your fist where the door lock is, sometimes it releases the lock. If no budging then you will have to remove rear door and cut the door catch with a hacksaw blade then replace the catch with a new one...If you need any spares let me know, breaking a few a6 so have plenty parts...

I have had this problem. Good Luck!!With me I overadjusted the black adjusting bit inside the lock mechanism - yours may have slipped causing the same effect. This means when the door closes the lock mechanism does not "reset" and therefore is unable to be opened from inside or outside. To rectify it is simple - you have to get to the adjusting area and push the rod upwards (I think or it may be downwards) until it clicks then the lock resets and realises the door is shut and then can be opened normally. You must then readjust the black bit a little to stop it happening again.the big big problem is getting to the adjusting mechanism with the inside door trim in place (even more impossible if you have put the black plastic covers back on) which requires the door to be opened to remove it which is impossible when the catches don't work. I managed to get round it by lifting the trim enough (it was in place but the fixing screws had not yet been replaced) to get my hand holding a screwdriver to release the sliding catches which hold the exterior door handle in place, once that was loose in the door I got a very thin screwdriver in the gap of the hinge from the outside with the door catch held up and luckily pushed or pulled the adjusting rod until it clicked and thank goodness the door opened. I did end up with little cuts/bruises all over my hand & arm. Alternatively the interior trim may need to be damaged to get to the lock but I believe it is very expensive to replace.If I ever adjust the lock again I will definatly not replace the trim for several days until I am sure everything is ok!!for more details please see my replies to a thread maybe 4-5 weeks ago with someone who had similar problems with their door handle.Hope this helps a bit.

I have had this problem. Good Luck!!With me I overadjusted the black adjusting bit inside the lock mechanism - yours may have slipped causing the same effect. This means when the door closes the lock mechanism does not "reset" and therefore is unable to be opened from inside or outside. To rectify it is simple - you have to get to the adjusting area and push the rod upwards (I think or it may be downwards) until it clicks then the lock resets and realises the door is shut and then can be opened normally. You must then readjust the black bit a little to stop it happening again.the big big problem is getting to the adjusting mechanism with the inside door trim in place (even more impossible if you have put the black plastic covers back on) which requires the door to be opened to remove it which is impossible when the catches don't work. I managed to get round it by lifting the trim enough (it was in place but the fixing screws had not yet been replaced) to get my hand holding a screwdriver to release the sliding catches which hold the exterior door handle in place, once that was loose in the door I got a very thin screwdriver in the gap of the hinge from the outside with the door catch held up and luckily pushed or pulled the adjusting rod until it clicked and thank goodness the door opened. I did end up with little cuts/bruises all over my hand & arm. Alternatively the interior trim may need to be damaged to get to the lock but I believe it is very expensive to replace.If I ever adjust the lock again I will definatly not replace the trim for several days until I am sure everything is ok!!for more details please see my replies to a thread maybe 4-5 weeks ago with someone who had similar problems with their door handle.Hope this helps a bit.
Thankyou for your time in replying to my post.......I have slightly damaged (will be able to repair) the door car and been able to pull the lock end of yje card away from the door slightly maybe enough to get my arm down there, which I shall try tomorrow......Can you tell me how does the lock reset its self ?RgrdsJonathan

hi adamss24, many thanks for your reply., HAve been able to pry the door card back a little poss enough to get my arm down inside to try to move the rod .... the card will repair if it works.....Can you tell me if there's anything I need to take into consideration ?Many thanks for your input, may well need to contact you for parts etc.....RegardsJonathan