1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOCK AND KEY PROMBLEM!!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by HSM, Jul 1, 2003.

1. HSM

HSM New Member

[Jul 1, 2003]
    Hi,
    I recentley bought an audi a3 3dr 1.6 from my local garage, everything was fine until a couple days after i tried to open my boot with the key i was given,(i was given 1 key only as this is how the garage had recieved it) but the key did not fit the lock, so i tried to open my glove compartment lock, still the key did not fit. the key only fits the ignition and the driver door lock, as it is a 3 door the driver door only has a key hole lock. the car also has an alarm so whenever it sounds i have to open the door put the key in the ignition and turn the key half way to stop it, as the key is just a normal manual key and not an electronic one. I have told my dealer and he said there was nothing he could do about it, i rang my local Audi dealer and they said there could be a possibilty that the barral could have been changed along with the driver door lock to which the key only fits to.

what should i do now? should i get all the locks changed and let the my local garage take the bill or is there any other suggestions???

i would appreiciate it very much if someone could help with this.
    thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. GARTHY

GARTHY Member

[Jul 1, 2003]
    It seems as if you have only got the 'valet/service' key. Audi usually supply this key so when your car goes in for a service you can lock your belongings in the glovebox/boot knowing the garage cannot access them.
  4. PaulBelsham

PaulBelsham Member

[Jul 1, 2003]
    I haven't got a key like that for my S3 !!
    Besides its pretty useless securing the boot as you can gain access via the back seats anyway.
  5. Drill

Drill Member

[Jul 1, 2003]
    Which brings up a good point Paul. Have y'all seen those locking seat backs?? I can't remember WHERE I saw it, might have been Dad's A6, but where the latch is to pull the seats forward, is also a lock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  6. GARTHY

GARTHY Member

[Jul 1, 2003]
    I know the boot can be accessed from the inside but that's what my one key is used for apparently.
  7. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Jul 1, 2003]
    do you have the previous owners address off of the log book? It might be worth a phone call to see if they know what happened or if they have the old key. I take it the central locking works ok and you can actually get into the boot from outside?