1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living room furniture

Discussion in 'Home Cinema, Hi-Fi and Gadgets' started by jojo, Jul 12, 2007.

1. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Right guys, I have finally purchased myself a 42" Plasma, but it doesn't really go with the current furniture I have in my living room.
    Does anyone have any recomendations for a TV stand/Cabinet for my Plasma, I've looked around but nothing takes my fancy. I've no budget in mind, but something under £500 would be suitable, anything more expensive, and the Audi will have to go lol.

Please take note that I have a three year old running round the house, so corners or sharp edges are a nono.
  2. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[​IMG]
  3. jojo

:hubbahubba: :hubbahubba: :hubbahubba:

how much?
  4. Stevey.D

Stevey.D A4 3.0 cabriolet

Why not wall mount it? will be out of harms way, then put all the other bits n bobs on a corner stand so its on display but less likely to cause accidents or be damaged. Hide all the cables it the wall, that way they cant be pulled etc.
  5. Stevey.D

6. Stevey.D

7. jojo

The only place to mount it onto the wall in my livingroom is above the fireplace, but that's too high, keen to keep it in the corner actually... wal this cross my mind though. :icon_thumright:
  8. jojo

This one looks ok, will it hold a Panasonic 42"?
  9. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

wall mount, Plasma's are really heavy and can fall forward easily unless you anchor them to the wall behind (states so in the manual) best you put it on the wall in case your little'un pulls it over.
  10. Stevey.D

pretty sure it will take 42" mate, I just had a little look on Ebay. Was going to put my plasma above the fireplace but decided to get all minimalistic, threw a load of things out and got a big glass stand for everything, looks pretty ok now.

Dont worry about it being too high, you can get wall mount stands that tilt down (about 30 degrees).

have a look on google to get some ideas of what would look good in your envoronment?
  11. Stevey.D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

there are 1000's of ways it can be done!
  12. jojo

Lots of options on ebay, I'm having a good browse, I'm still keen on low level as opposed to wall mount, as above the fireplace is really the only place it will look good.
  13. AndyCollins

AndyCollins Member

Have a look at avforums.co.uk. There is a thread on there called Get your plasmas out for the boys. You need to register but there are hundreds of pictures of peoples installations for inspiration.

I'm just in the process of wall mounting my 42" Panasonic Plasma, and have purchased a Dakota TV unit from Next, in mango wood, which will go under the tv and house the DVD and Sky box. If you like the dakota range on the next website try an ebay search for it, and you'll find importers selling the same stuff at half the price.
  14. RAPS3

RAPS3 Well-Known Member

Jojo - How good are you at DIY? you could always get out your tools and have a go yourself at making one.

I found it a nightmare when looking for a TV stand that would accomodate all of my AV gear, along with my centre speaker. (I went for full size speakers).

In the end I made one. (Plus fireplace, and picture frames)

Took me a while just doing it on a night after work, but the effect looks Ok I think. I've added some pics below of the install in my old house. I currently doing a load of building work on the new house, so may look at putting it on the wall or a custom install, time (and budget) will tell. :think:

Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. tracer

tracer '96 a4 1.8 se

can recommend these guys a lot. just bought a unit from them for my pc and its really very good quality.

how about this one? not sure what sizes you need though

http://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/398.html

oh edit, just noticed the bit about the 3 yr old. ah well maybe not suitable.. these things are really heavy so won't budge if run into!
  16. jojo

DIY is not my forte Paul, nice setup you have there though... My flat screen is currently sitting on mr Ikea tea table lol as a temparary setup, and jojo junior has actually not attempted to press the on/off button on the bottom corner of it. :)
    I'll have a butchers later, at the link you posted Tracer, thanks. ;)
  17. JGrant1285

JGrant1285 Sir Scouser Benitez

I'm currently doing my bedroom at the moment and i'm looking for ideas. Going to have a browse round avforums.co.uk for ideas.