LIVID! manifold stud snapped!

James TQ

Reaction score
over the last few weeks iv had a blow in the exhaust, i was fitting my new TIP today and checked the mani bolts, the top one above the turbo was lose, when i turnt it the stud was turning too, i dont know how it happend or how long its been like it,

whats the best way to get this sorted and does anyone know costs... be easy on me!!

thanks!!

would a a3/mk4 gti head fit, would this be a better option to try source a new head?

Last edited:
hang on a minute. You said the stud turned, how do you know it's snapped?

It's fairly common for studs to back out with the nuts, and you certainly don't need a new head!

Man up, be patient and get a decent mechanic. Head doesn't need to come off at all if the stud is snapped assuming it's one of the top row; not even the manifold has to come off in that instance.

First thing to do is buy some Plus Gas; don't bother buying anything else only Plus Gas. Spray in the hole in the morning when you start the car and in the evening when you get home until you come to the point of needing to remove the broken stud. It'll make it A LOT easier.

If you take it to a garage and they say the head has to come off; then move along because they're not competent enough to be doing it.

I had 2 snapped studs on my last A3 which had been in there for 200K; my dad took 4 hours with a right angle air drill, left handed drill bits, easy outs and +gas and we got them out. It wasn't easy at all...But it is possible as long as the person doing it know's what they're doing.

Hopefully this will give you hope, it's hardly the end of the world :) -

319694_10150463750620130_527648740_n.jpg

306411_10150463749540130_794767963_n.jpg

316334_10150463606730130_145950466_n.jpg

at least the head dosnt have to come off!! and i was turning the nut and stud was turning too....then it pulled out, nut and stud tiny bit of thread on the end, i cant really get to it without taking the ic hard pipes off and fiddling between the puck and DV ect... thanks for the replies....

at least the head dosnt have to come off!! and i was turning the nut and stud was turning too....then it pulled out, nut and stud tiny bit of thread on the end, i cant really get to it without taking the ic hard pipes off and fiddling between the puck and DV ect... thanks for the replies....

So it's on the top run of nuts, good :)

You'll have to remove the charge pipe and the brackets which hold it, that's a 10min job. Then the rest of it is just patience :)

I wish you the best of luck! :)