Little surprises?

I have found that....

... you can "manually" "pull" the wipers into the service position.

Don't know if you're supposed to be able to do that, can feel the motor and gears unwinding as you gently pull them !

Reactions: bluemoona3246
Doesn't sound very sensible to me... it's easy enough to do with the stalk so why would you do that?!

I'm probably being daft, but how do you both mean? I've noticed that I can't lift and keep the front wipers off the windscreen when trying to wash them as the top of the bonnet gets in the way.

I discovered it by accident!

It was raining, there was something stuck in the rubber blade, so that when it wiped, it left a streak.

When I got out of the car and locked it, I just gently lifted the blade and rubber away from the windscreen to dislodge whatever had stuck there, but as I lifted the blade away from the windscreen, the wiper arm started to rotate upwards!

I thought this strange, so I carried on lifting, and sure enough, both sets of arms started moving !

I'm probably being daft, but how do you both mean? I've noticed that I can't lift and keep the front wipers off the windscreen when trying to wash them as the top of the bonnet gets in the way.

You can if you put your wipers into the "Service Position".

After you switch off the ignition, do a "flick wipe" with the wiper stalk.

Reactions: GRE57Y, mls and selar
The two little kits that came with the top-up oil consisting of tissues, disposable gloves and funnels is a nice touch...

Oh have you got an S3? I don't have a lap timer on my A3 (unless that's another little surprise I haven't discovered) - my oil temperature gauge is in the unused quarter of my rev counter.

Oh have you got an S3? I don't have a lap timer on my A3 (unless that's another little surprise I haven't discovered) - my oil temperature gauge is in the unused quarter of my rev counter.

S3 has the boost gauge where the temp gauge is on A3s. There's also a lap timer screen in the DIS which has oil temp. You can get the oil temp put into the other DIS screens with a VCDS tweak.

Yip it is selar

Flibble that would be a good tweak, what would be the correct temp before giving it the beans? I assume the car won't allow itself to go full power before engine is warm enough.

Today I used the Bluetooth hands-free with my mobile in the car for the first time. Of course the song that was being played was automatically muted before the DIS informed me of the incoming call. That I expected. What I didn't quite expect is that the sound from my calling party seemed to be balanced towards the driver's side. I mean, it's as if the call had an automatic balance applied, so as to better match the driver's position (now I wonder if the fade was also oriented towards the front).

If I'm correct (can someone confirm?), it would be a nice touch by Audi. It makes sense to concentrate the sound in the driver's area, as the hands-free device is used mainly by the driver, not by passengers.

Today I used the Bluetooth hands-free with my mobile in the car for the first time. Of course the song that was being played was automatically muted before the DIS informed me of the incoming call. That I expected. What I didn't quite expect is that the sound from my calling party seemed to be balanced towards the driver's side. I mean, it's as if the call had an automatic balance applied, so as to better match the driver's position (now I wonder if the fade was also oriented towards the front).

If I'm correct (can someone confirm?), it would be a nice touch by Audi. It makes sense to concentrate the sound in the driver's area, as the hands-free device is used mainly by the driver, not by passengers.

Cool feature if true. Makes sense as most likely will be able to hear the other party better.

Hey, in my S3 the music gets louder if you drive faster!!!

PhilipJ

Yesterday used the Economy mode for the first time on a 25 mile journey home to work.

Pretty cool feature the coasting model but one thing did surprise me.....after clearing some slower moving traffic I got the car upto about 80mph. I then lifted off the accelerator. To my surprise the car scrubbed speed very slowly. I was still doing 60mph after what appears to be a couple of miles of driving (the road had a slight down slope too).

I'm guessing with the gear box not coupled to the drive there is no engine braking or whatever. It caught me out actually as pretty much every car I've ever driven, when in gear and let off the accelerator they will scrub speed fairly quickly.

All very good - 31 mpg to work in this mode even with having some fun. But coming back in individual it did 36mpg. Not sure if Econony mode is just a gimmick after this experience !

Also, the round airvents, did anyone know u can pull on the centre knob and the airflow is more direct. I heard is used to controlling the airflow, and that's without adjusting fan speed..

I just thought it was to open/close them like on an old car I had!! Should pay more attention.

thanks
PhilipJ

Passenger side wing mirror adjusts automatically to give you a better view of the kerb whilst in reverse, reverts to normal position when driving forwards, really helpfully.

I got the folding wing mirror package and it's standard. You have to have the door control switched to the passenger side mirror when you put it into reverse but there's no coding required.

Did you spec everything on your order from scratch, or was it a showroom car / a car that was already placed in the order queue by the dealer?

I remember from the brochure when I was spec'ing everything on my order that the kerbside mirror dipping was a £100-£200 option that I figured I could live without :D I park in a lot of one way streets in my area so parking is normal on either side and it turns out I need to dip the right almost as often as the left.

Yes, I spec'ed "Door mirrors – electrically adjustable, folding and heated" and it was £150 on the list price. I didn't know this reverse parking feature was part of it until I read about it and tried it for myself. Normally I would have left the mirror control switch in it's neutral centre position and never have know about this feature.

PhilipJ

Reactions: S3 Johnny
Not a gadget or technical surprise but I have noticed I no longer get soaked when the drivers side window is open when reversing off the drive in the morning - pretty annoying on my previous 4 Audi's.

Wouldn't it be useful if this thread became a Sticky as it contains such useful information and would be easier to find?

Reactions: phil1824
After picking my a3 sportback up yesterday and having a glance through the manual, amongst everything which has been listed 2 things extra ive come accross are;
If you have auto dimmng rear view mirror, it dims driver side mirror aswell, neither dim when in reverse though.

When indicating, if just changing lane if you tap the indicator rather than click it it will indicate 3 times.

Auto folding mirrors when locking need to be set through mmi

Interior light pack is awesome worth every penny and more.

Setting favourite contacts in mmi for quick calling is a handy feature which saves scrolling contacts

Ill get some picks up when i give her a clean. Very please so far with everything

Yes my bad dimming mirror is a optional extra. For anyone who see the message about safelock when turning engine off and doesnt know what it means like myself it means when you lock the car the doors cant be opened from the inside which helps prevent someone robbing it. Does mean you can lock someone in the car though. It can be disabled by putting the key in the door.

Also something that impressed me and my passa ger was that you get 6 spray jets to clean front window which looks smart (still didnt shift the bug tho)

Do the Xenons have washer jets? If so, how are they activated?

Do the Xenons have washer jets? If so, how are they activated?

Supposedly they have washer jets but mine do not seem to have activated once in the last 3 months, whereas my previous A3 were going off all of the time.

Yes my bad dimming mirror is a optional extra. For anyone who see the message about safelock when turning engine off and doesnt know what it means like myself it means when you lock the car the doors cant be opened from the inside which helps prevent someone robbing it. Does mean you can lock someone in the car though. It can be disabled by putting the key in the door.

I think if you press the lock button twice on the remote, it locks the car without the deadlocks.

Supposedly they have washer jets but mine do not seem to have activated once in the last 3 months, whereas my previous A3 were going off all of the time.

They pop up through water pressure. I thought the same, it was always washing in my 8P, and very rarely in my 8V.
However I do tend to pull the wash stalk only briefly, in short bursts. I tried pulling the stalk for a longer duration the other day to check that the headlight washers actually worked, and sure enough, after 8 long pulls (I changed this in VCDS) - the headlight washers worked.

Reactions: jbs2472
How about the fact the wipers will auto park themselves if you switch the engine off in the middle of a sweep. Always annoyed me on other cars when they just froze halfway across the screen.

I haven't had a car that parked the wipers across the windscreen for probably 20 years! LOL!

I read the user manuals back to back the day I got the car, so no surprises yet, well other than the lack of arrestors on the doors! Very un-Audi like and ****** annoying. Never noticed it when I test drove cars. Hey ho.

Not a surprise 'cos it's written in the manual but have you tried the speech recognition commands yet? Brilliant!!!!!

Not a surprise 'cos it's written in the manual but have you tried the speech recognition commands yet? Brilliant!!!!!

The voice commands are good. I used them for the first few days, but haven't touched them since. I find I can do everything faster with the buttons, especially by the time the MMI has misheard and has to be corrected.

They pop up through water pressure. I thought the same, it was always washing in my 8P, and very rarely in my 8V.
However I do tend to pull the wash stalk only briefly, in short bursts. I tried pulling the stalk for a longer duration the other day to check that the headlight washers actually worked, and sure enough, after 8 long pulls (I changed this in VCDS) - the headlight washers worked.

You have to wash the window 8 times to get the headlights washed?! Seems like a waste of fluid.