Little less roll, but not break back/steering rack feel? Suggestions

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As with all newbie threads, I'm sure this has been covered, but I have searched and been reading up about springs, ARBs etc.

What are people's opinions on the best method to get rid of the boat feel, but retain the motorway cruisability? I'm not bothered about ride height or looks.

My last car had a full setup - ARBs, Coilies, Strutbraces and solid topmounts. This eventually caused the steering rack to feel lose, as well as several teeth; i.e. I hated it and don't want to go back to that feeling! But the cornering was just immense.

All thoughts and opinions and/or links much appreciated.

a few people have said treating the s3 to new oem suspension bits like bushes arbs springs and dampers made it feel like a different car, all of the aforementioned are probably the originals so are 10 years old and more than likely knackered

i wouldnt of thought so mate, which is what he wants
but if worn a new one will do nothing but sharpen up the handling

If your wanting to get rid of some of the roll then get uprated ARBs. These also won't really effect the comfort of the car so sound pretty much perfect for what your after.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Thanks for all of the replies. JoJo, 18s are going to be one of the only mods to the car (nice TT Sline wheels), so thanks for that point.

Damian, I will have a check around your website. What sort of price range should I be budgeting for?

balance motorsport are doing whitline front and rear arbs for £235
20mm front 18mm rear iirc

ARBs will be spot onfor what you want. No effect of ride comfort, just body roll :)

Tom, once you fitted your KW ARBs, did the car feel more pointy and nimble? With less understeer?

Tom, once you fitted your KW ARBs, did the car feel more pointy and nimble? With less understeer?

It sure did mate. However it did have the springs, shocks, top mounts and bushes changed at the same time.

On a dry road its VERY hard to get it to understeer, previously it was pretty shocking for it but you really have to drive like a peni5 so get it to slide now (if at all).

It changes direction a lot quicker now and feels really planted through twisty bends. It feels a lot steadier at speed on long bends too, you can just put it in and you know it'll stay put. Before you'd be scraping the wing mirror off the floor thinking its going to roll over or break traction.

Best money I have spent on the car by a long long way.

Tom

I went with H&R ARBs from Damian at DPM Performance - Big thank you to Damian and also to Autopool for fitting as the cornering has improved massively. Body roll has almost been removed and there is no boat feeling. You can now drive the S3 through corners with so much more confidence.

I went with H&R ARBs from Damian at DPM Performance - Big thank you to Damian and also to Autopool for fitting as the cornering has improved massively. Body roll has almost been removed and there is no boat feeling. You can now drive the S3 through corners with so much more confidence.

could i ask you how much you paid for fitting of the arbs mate
am in two minds whether to do it myself or not

Yeah the H&R's are a superb addition, glad your happy and thanks again.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Am I the only person on here who thinks people exaggerate way too much when it comes to the S3's handling ?
I dont think the S3 handles that badly to be perfectly honest, I have uprated to Billies + H&R but have yet to do the ARBs and whilst yes it was an improvement over standard it wasnt so different that I think I have got my £800 worth out of it :S

Or was it something to do with my previous car, I had a Mondeo (N Reg) Ghia that I am fairly sure had been lowered on standard shocks and had done 120k, no that WAS a boat, used to throw an anchor out of the window to stop it heh heh.