little lcd gone dead

joss

Reaction score
the lcd under the lcd that says ok when i start up has gone dead any ideas why just that one and is there an easy fix??

Press the button under the wiper stalk and it should come back on !!

i think he seen a ghost or somit. lol

It reminded me of my Australian cousin. She called out the AA because her car wouldnt start. He took it out of "Park" and hey presto.

Sorry, didnt mean to be too critical.

so cause i didn't know why the lcd went out you think i'm thick.

sounds like it, eh? :)
(btw i think he got it the wrong way round - autos won't start 'unless' they're in park ;))

incidentally, sounds like everyone drives with the DIS on? i usually have mine off - it's a bit distracting (and makes me drive ultra-economically when avg. mpg is displayed :))

I thought it was one of the known rights of passage when owning an Audi of a certain age: The panic of thinking your DIS has succumbed to the inevitable dead pixel affliction, followed by the relief and slight embarrassment of being told by a more experienced owner that 'it's the button under the wiper stalk...'

C'mon, we've all been there once, and only once, some of us are just lucky enough to work it out before resorting to the forum. The unluckiest ones are those that take the 'failed' DIS to the stealers...

Joss, you've officially graduated to full A4 ownership, and can now kindly inform the next under-graduate to suffer humiliation at the hands of the legendary Button of False Doom...

it's all this " modern " technology you see..it baffles me. my last car was a 64 beetle and i was lucky if the lights worked let alone the starship enterprise like computer in the audi dash...:moa:

funnily enough, i backed out of buying what would have been my 1st a4, a few years ago, because this weird "mph" symbol popped up on the DIS with a beep while i was on the test drive. the dealer didn't know what it was, and only when i eventually bought one and read the manual, did i realise that it was the "speed limit warning" thing! if i'd know that before i might have been able to blag a bargain by claiming i was "taking a risk" :)

yeah that was a wierd one for me as well. is there any more i should look out for so they don't further my dimbness of the hal type computer in my car

i dont think mine does any of the above....
saying that, i havent messed with the aircon unit either

i really should read the handbook. lol

if the button under the stalk turns it on, how does it get off in the first place?

the button under the stalk on mine is to reset stuff on the DIS iirc? i'm sure i've pressed it before and it didnt result in the dis turning off...

You need to hold it down to reset stuff. A single quick press will turn the DIS on/off.

to turn it off you have to hold the button touch your nose start the car and open the boot all at the same time....sorry i'll shut up