1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little help

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Dr Greenthumb, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Dr Greenthumb

Dr Greenthumb New Member

[Mar 18, 2008]
    Hi all,

I'm new to Audi's as i've been driving a vectra for the past 2 years as my first car and decided it was time for a change.

I've been to look at an "R" Reg A4 1.8T sport in white. 119k and he is asking 1800 for it.

It's had a new gearbox, clutch and flywheel and he has put some 18" OZ alloys on and a recirculating dump valve.

It needs a cambelt and it's a touch tappety on start up and the airbag light is on.

I Wouldn't offer 1800 for it baring in mind the work but is there anything i should look out for?
  2. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 18, 2008]
    make sure the oil light doesnt come on at all when driving as that is at best a replacement oil pump. The oil changes need to strictly adhered to with fully synthetic oil.Make sure there are no creaks and groans as that can mean some of the arms need replacing, also no grumbling etc etc. They are pretty sound cars, just need to be properly maintained .
    The airbag light is probably a dodgy under seat connection, but once fixed it will need to be reset via a dealer/garage or using a lappy and a vag-com cable. If you buy the A4 make sure you do yourself a favour and buy a VAG-com cable form the likes of ebay, it is the most useful diagnostic tool you can own and its under £20 .PS this can be used to reset the airbag light, change some settings, and check health on engine componants
  3. Bong Water

Bong Water In two minds

[Mar 18, 2008]
    120K is second cam belt time and water pump if going off mileage and not age
  4. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 18, 2008]
    Tappets is proberbly sludge in the engine and a good engine flush may sort that out as it tend to clog up the sump filter.

If you are not doing the cam change then allow for around £350-400 to get it all done.