Facelift Liquid noise from exhaust

Audi Bairn

Staff member
Reaction score
When I leave for work in the morning I drive our my gates, stop, then get out the car and close them.
As I'm at the rear of the car (specifically the passenger side exhaust) I can hear what I can only desribe as sounding like someone splashing water in a sink! Bizarre I know but that's the best way I can describe it.
Nothing appears to be leaking.
Any ideas?
:sign werd::wtf:

Condensation in the exhaust rear pipe?

Reactions: pburv
I've got this sound too, it's water in the back box. There's a drain hole on the bottom of the exhaust back box to help it drain but even though I've checked for a blockage I still have some water in there.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
I've got this sound too, it's water in the back box. There's a drain hole on the bottom of the exhaust back box to help it drain but even though I've checked for a blockage I still have some water in there.

Really? That's worrying.
The car's just over two weeks old and not had loads of wet weather, mainly frosty.
How does that happen, just rainwater from the roads?
Anything to worry about (I'm already concerned) and is there anything i can do about it?
It seemed to have disappeared after my 25 minute commute this morning.

Just get some electric gates and you won't here it any more!

As long as it's not fuel going down the sink I wouldn't be too concerned, probably is just condensation in exhaust.

Reactions: Daytonapig, Gordo77, Martinbanshee and 1 other person
Just get some electric gates and you won't here it any more!

As long as it's not fuel going down the sink I wouldn't be too concerned, probably is just condensation in exhaust.

Trust me electric gates are on the cards. It's a PITA stopping, getting out, shutting the gates, getting back in every morning in the crap weather and there's no street lights here either. Oh, the hardship eh! :hushed:

Reactions: Daytonapig, Martinbanshee and BarryG79
Don't worry, it's normal, that's why there's a drain hole. It really depends how much moisture is in the air so it's not bad in summer and a good long blast out the road clears a lot of it but I find it always comes back. It might be worse for me because of my location, who knows.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
Are you in Dynamic mode @Audi Bairn ? Wondering if any difference with all 4 pipes in play, compared to just 2.

Reactions: pburv
I get this in the mornings when first starting up - not worried personally. If i heard this after having gone out for a reasonable spin then it'd be a different story, but I never hear it other than first thing in the morning. Do you get it when you come home and get out to open the gates?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I get this in the mornings when first starting up - not worried personally. If i heard this after having gone out for a reasonable spin then it'd be a different story, but I never hear it other than first thing in the morning. Do you get it when you come home and get out to open the gates?

No, I checked when I got to work and again tonight when I got home.
Just a bit weird as I've never had it on any other car and still don't understand where that volume (it's sounds a lot) of water comes from overnight.

The only other car I've noticed it on was my TT and that had a pretty large back box too.

Reactions: Audi Bairn