1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

light weight flywheels?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by emery1990, Jul 15, 2009.

1. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

[Jul 15, 2009]
    i was just reading up about this.

Has anyone had there iron flywheel swapped for a lighter or even aluminium flywheel, what are your veiws on them, they sound pretty good, but also sounds like they make the car harder to drive ?
  2. Andrew@A.L.D

Andrew@A.L.D May add NOS to 600+bhp?

[Jul 15, 2009]
    I've machined a few flywheels for Fords in the past to make them lighter, they do help the engine more free revving but engine breaking down the gears take longer.

Not sure what they would be like on the 20v engines?
  3. Bignick

Bignick Member

[Jul 15, 2009]
    The Audi's are fitted with dual mass flywheels which are heavy, i've replaced mine when i changed my clutch for an uprated one from awesome .The dual mass flywheel is designed to reduce vibration when holding the car at the bite .Mine did vibrate quite bad at first when reversing slowly off my drive but it has got better since bedding in and the uprated clutch is so light it is a joy to drive so it was money well spent. :icon_thumright:
  4. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

[Jul 15, 2009]
    oh right thanks. have you noticed any increase in acceleraton, by more bhp being at the wheels ? as thats the intended use for a light fly wheel yes?

how long did it take for you to get use to it, is it recommened with a sports clutch or not, have you had your idling rev count increased at all? this was some of the things the write up was saying,, though about the idling think this was just with ultra light weight ones? ie normal idling at 750 rpm had to be raised to 1100 rpm to prevent stalling.
  5. Bignick

Bignick Member

[Jul 15, 2009]
    My A3 idles at about 900 rpm but after getting it done there was no change at all. The pull from standstill is slightly better and spool up is a tiny bit better, but its certainly not harder to drive , and its worth uprating your clutch at the same time if your modding it. I think my flywheel is about half the weight of a standard one. The reason i did all this was because after my re map taking the car to 201bhp the clutch was slipping at high speed.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  6. marcyp

marcyp Only me

[Jul 16, 2009]
    i was thinking of gettin a mate of mine to custom make one for mine as hes one of those old engaireing types that can make anything
    as hes already built loads steam engines and stuff like that over the years and im hoping if he dose my flywheel wont cost me much at all and being able to get it light asposibe
    after all every one loves custom built things :drool:
  7. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

[Jul 16, 2009]
    lighter isnt better though for normal driving, the lighter the flywheel the harder to drive, it was saying on this thread that, it builds revs quicker so quiker accelaration when moving, not from start, but it comes down to quick for the turbo to work effiently.

heres the topic, http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-152706.html
  8. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 16, 2009]
    Ive got a G60 14lb flywheels and uprated clutch. Clutch feels stock, and flywheel not really any different feeling to the dual mass. I've not honestly felt any difference in spin up, but my clutch was fubarred anyway, so decided i may aswell change it at the same time.
  9. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

[Jul 16, 2009]
    ohright, maybe youll need an ultralightweight one to notice difference. i 10lb is near on a stone lighter so i would of thought youd notice it, less weight to turn more power to wheels.
  10. IIIadidasboy

IIIadidasboy Member

[Jul 16, 2009]
    I always thought (from my PS2 Gran Turismo days) that lightening the flywheel made acceleration uphill alot harder - because you had less inertia??!!

Not sure how factual that was - but I'm sure someone will put me right!!
  11. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 17, 2009]
    problem is if you go too light you will get idling issues .etc.
  12. Andrew@A.L.D

Andrew@A.L.D May add NOS to 600+bhp?

[Jul 17, 2009]