1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light on the subject please

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by jonmusicman, Dec 5, 2006.

1. jonmusicman

jonmusicman Member

I've just tried to replace one of the bulbs over the number plate and the screw has totally rounded off. I've tried various screwdrivers but I've had no joy. Any ideas?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

Depending on how solid it is and how easy it is to get at, cut a slot straight across it with a hacksaw just deep enough to use a flat blade screwdriver to sort it. Drill the old screw out... weld something to the tip of the screw...

4. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

Yeah, I had the same problem and sorted it by cutting a slot with a hacksaw blade. Just be careful not to cut into the black surround.

5. tommyt2

tommyt2 Member

This happened to me monday. One bulb was gone so said id change both so one would not be darker than the other, now my local stealer is 20 mins away so when both screws rounded i broke the lights took the screws out with a vice grips and bought two new ones for 6.50 euro a side, with new screws nice clean lights with new bulbs and better designed screws than what was in there and a dab of greese for good measure on the top of them so no tight fu_kers next time:hi:

6. jonmusicman

jonmusicman Member

i did consider cutting a slot but the screw is below the surface of the light???

7. ianpic

ianpic New Member

It's a common thing on these, road salt gets in behind the screw and also the light contacts which corrodes them. I had to chain drill with a small drill around the lens to weaken it and then break it away so as to get some pliers on the head of the screw. I think 2 new light assemblies and lenses were £15 from the stealer.

8. RickT

RickT Member

i will take this in mind at the weekend... i need to replace both bulbs now... ones been out for about 6 months but never got round to doing it!!

Cheers

RickT

9. jonmusicman

jonmusicman Member

Just to let you know Audi replaced the numberplate light unit in about 15 minutes and only charged me £19.00.

Thanks Audi (for once).