1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifting windscreen wipers when washing!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by benw123, Dec 29, 2004.

1. benw123

benw123 Moderator

This might be a stupid question to ask, but how do you lift the wipers from the windscreen without them fouling the bonnet? I washed our Sportback the other week and couldn't lift them because the arm collides with the edge of the bonnet. I've thought about switching the ignition off with the wipers at the top of the screen, but there must be another way.

Any suggestions, before I have to get off my backside and dig out the manual? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
  2. MateloT

MateloT Member

its something like, switch off ignition then switch on the wipers within 30seconds, it'll move the wipers to the maintanence position.

i'm probably totally wrong but its defo in the manual.
  3. Mike_P

Mike_P Member

Matelo is right, except push the wiper stalk down and they'll swish half way up. Push it down again and they'll go back to their park position /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  4. benw123

benw123 Moderator

God, Audi think of everything don't they? Thanks guys, will try this tomorrow.
  5. synthdood

synthdood Member

I find it a very disturbing idea that the wipers can not be lifted normally without damaging the bonnet. It's fine if you know the car and take precautions, but the day will come when some stupid idiot tries to stick a flyer behind one of the wipers and damage the bonnet my brand new €39000 car!
  6. benw123

benw123 Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    synthdood said:
    I find it a very disturbing idea that the wipers can not be lifted normally without damaging the bonnet. It's fine if you know the car and take precautions, but the day will come when some stupid idiot tries to stick a flyer behind one of the wipers and damage the bonnet my brand new €39000 car!

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's a good point! You can lift the wiper slightly, but as you say, if someone tries this when leafleting the car you could end up with some damage.

Just got indoors from washing the car and the advice above was spot on. Thanks!
  7. cdb2

cdb2 Member

Daft question, but as the side that touches the screen and the side that face upwards both look the same, i.e. a blade, does that mean that when one side is worn you can turn them over?

Anyone know how much a new set are? Is it the whole arm or just the blades? Can't see a trip to Halfords for £10 being possible again?
  8. yak

yak Member

You can buy just a new blade, which is easy to set. I don't know about UK costs, but shouldn't be a lot, and some aftermarket non-Audi wipers are even cheaper.

But no, you can't turn them over, they can't be installed "wrong way".

- Yak
  9. benw123

benw123 Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    cdb2 said:
    Daft question, but as the side that touches the screen and the side that face upwards both look the same, i.e. a blade, does that mean that when one side is worn you can turn them over?

Anyone know how much a new set are? Is it the whole arm or just the blades? Can't see a trip to Halfords for £10 being possible again?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The salesman at the dealership told us that the car automatically reverses them now and then to extend the life of the blades. In theory this should double their life. I have noticed them twitch before but I know little more about it. Is this right?
  10. yak

yak Member

benw123, yeah. You're right, they tilt every now and then to extend the usage time.

- Yak
  11. cdb2

cdb2 Member

When I was deciding between Sportback and A3 I got both brochures. The 3 dr brochure on page 5 says the blades 'park' to increase service life whatever that means. When usuing them on testdrives, did notice when turning them off that they sometimes did a bit of a jig!
  12. jungle

jungle Member

Slighly random I know, but be warned that if you have the wipers in "service" mode and start driving they will return to their normal position.
    This is especially useful information if you have parked up in Chamonix for the week with your wipers raised off the screen to stop them icing up, and then decide to drive 100 yds like that to a better parking spot...
  13. bravepilot

bravepilot Member

[ QUOTE ]
    jungle said:
    Slighly random I know, but be warned that if you have the wipers in "service" mode and start driving they will return to their normal position.
    This is especially useful information if you have parked up in Chamonix for the week with your wipers raised off the screen to stop them icing up, and then decide to drive 100 yds like that to a better parking spot...

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they freeze in service mode? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif