1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lift pump question 2.0 tdi 140 bkd

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by nokia_aid, Nov 11, 2011.

1. nokia_aid

nokia_aid Member

when you turn the ignition on how long should the lift pump go for,iv just tested mine by pulling a pipe off and putting it in a bottle and when i turn the ignition on it only pumps for about a second and not even a mouthfull of diesel comes out,i would have thought it should be longer to get pressure in the system.
  2. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

I would think that the pump expects to pump very little fuel into the system. It expects that the pressure will increase very quickly and then it can stop pumping. Faced with no back-pressure it may think there is an open pipe somewhere and automatically cuts-off. Generally, it would not have to pump for more than a second or two before the system is fully primed. Suggest you re-connect the pipe and see how long it takes to get the system pressure up to its design point. If it pumps for a considerable time, suspect a leak somewhere. Hope this helps.
  3. devonmikeyboy

devonmikeyboy As far from JBS as possible !

As the man says above ^^^^^^