License Plate size

p9lad

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i am getting some new plates made up and wanted to get shortened ones. Basically everything legal, font, size of lettering but the actual plate to be tad shorter.

Just wanted to check if this is legal before i go ahead and do it.

Cheers

is that a red a3 with graphics all over it?

awaits the numorous posts from the legal keyboard warriors.......

provided there's at least a 10mm border around the text, yes it's legal. I've had mine on for 14 months and not had them mentioned to me once other than a PCSO that thought they were foreign plates!

This question about overall size of number plates has cropped up many times and I agree with you, I don't think there is a minimum size, providing all the other requirements are met. I've searched before and I cannot find any document that says one way or the other. Plates are covered by BS AU 145d but at £80.00 for a paper copy!!

So I have just emailed the DVLA to ask them to confirm the current position - I'll let everyone know when I get a reply, but I don't suppose they will be very quick in replying!!

sorry, but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking "GET OUT MORE!"

i ran this for 2 MOT's without any questions

golffrontnew500.jpg

Rob

Any front and rears of yours Lee?? Can't remember how short they look.

Got a new number thats all with only 1 number in in instead of the normal 3 and was wondering what it would look like short on it.

Also where did you get them done? I was thinking getting them done at the dealer as i like the audi bit at tthe bottom...

Cheers

Regarding MOTs the testing standard changed last year and then changed back due to them err, not sure as VOSA dont make mistakes....

Will have a look at the standards tomorrow RE the test as is different from bikes that I test.

sorry, but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking "GET OUT MORE!"

Being retired and having all the time in the world to do just what I like doing a little research and sending a quick e-mail is no hardship, especially as a definitive answer may be of use to others.

h5djr cheers for emailing the DVLA want to get it totally legit really cant be bothered with the rozzers pulling me over for my plate being illegal!

the small front looks odd as it doesn't match the inlay which has been moulded into the bumper to fit a standard UK plate.

Cheers for that Lee!

Will try and get some dealer ones and try and trim it!

Guess i will have to wait until i get the paperwork through as they dont like making htem up do they without?

Cheers again

I don't think dealer made ones will trim down as well as getting aftermarket ones made up.

for example dealer plates would look like [ A 1 BCD ], whereas you could get [A1BCD] made up and stay within the legal limits of the font spacing.

I don't think dealer made ones will trim down as well as getting aftermarket ones made up.

for example dealer plates would look like [ A 1 BCD ], whereas you could get [A1BCD] made up and stay within the legal limits of the font spacing.

Not quite - The correct spacing would have to be the same as mine which would be A1 ACD with a space between the 1 and the following A.

I went std size but the font and spacing are custom!
Never had a problem, and I have been stopped by the very nice road wars cops, and they never said a dickie bird!

Further to my earlier post I have now received a reply from the DVLA confirming that "There is no prescribed size for the number plate itself and all the margin sizes quoted are minimum. All character and spacing sizes must be in accordance with leaflet V796"

This is a link to the document V796 - http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf