Levels of post-count

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
After looking through peoples posts recently I have come to the conclusion that some "contributors" should have a tiered post counter, one with useful posts and one with pointless drivel or one word posts.

Then we could see who is vaguely useful and who is a pointless jellyfish

Personally, I'd do away with the whole feature.

We all know who posts usefull information and who 'post whores'...and less incentive to post drivel would would be beneficial to the server space.

Why do post counts matter anyway? You'd have to be a a bit of **** to post random messages just to make your count bigger.
People that post spam probably do more so for the attention than their post count.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist that........here here on the bin the counts thingy...who cares really????

but I LOVE the THANKS bit, really cool thing in my eyes.

I personally think the banta in this General section livens up the forum, we are not all here to talk about our cars and how they perform etc., I generally only offer advice in the 8L A3/S3 forum, as that's what I own, and the General Discussion is the second forum I visit most frequent.

jojo said:
I personally think the banta in this General section livens up the forum, we are not all here to talk about our cars and how they perform etc., I generally only offer advice in the 8L A3/S3 forum, as that's what I own, and the General Discussion is the second forum I visit most frequent.
I agree. I ask questions in the A6 forum occaisionally, and lurk around 1.8T questions in the A3 and A4 threads. The General forum is an interesting place for other chat - but I haven't contributed much lately.

I look at several sites' forums, and post a bit here and there. Mostly nonsense. But I think this one would be poorer if people felt they couldn't post up something that's on their mind.

Just not to boost the post count though; then you end up with threads that ramble on for pages of one-word-post rubbish.

if i ask a question and it gets answered helpfully it doesn't matter if its his/her 1st or 1000th post.
or if its a bit of friendly banter i still dont look to see how many posts the've done first.

jojo said:

I'm not saying that banter is wrong, but posts with 1 word or 1 emoticon or a post that has no retort value should just get canned.

The "other" BMW forum I post on has so so many pages of pointless **** its staggering.

There is a lot to be said for housekeeping i'll say.

A4Quattro said:
The "other" BMW forum I post on has so so many pages of pointless **** its staggering.

Sums up a BMW forum really!!!!!!!

A4Quattro said:
I'm not saying that banter is wrong, but posts with 1 word or 1 emoticon or a post that has no retort value should just get canned.

There is a lot to be said for housekeeping i'll say.

It's what you are use to I guess, I find it the same with most forums, you will get a group of friends or long standing members who generally will talk amongst themselves in the open so to speak, which leads to offtopic moments etc.
I'm a member of a few forums where the long standing members are so sick of helping newbies that an already answered question is answered with 'it's been discussed before many times, use the search function!', now tell me that is helpful?

What about adding an opposite to the thanks button?
Something you can click when someone has added a useless post.
Mind you it would probably cause more problems than necessary.

Stringster said:
What about adding an opposite to the thanks button?
Something you can click when someone has added a useless post.
Mind you it would probably cause more problems than necessary.

Like a -1 post button. :idea:

jojo said:
you will get a group of friends or long standing members who generally will talk amongst themselves in the open so to speak, which leads to offtopic moments
jojo said:
a few forums where the long standing members are so sick of helping newbies
I know what you mean. One forum I post on is like a flippin' zoo compared to this one. But then, I suppose that's what the General forum is for; general odds and ends.

Unless there was yet another forum for rambling OT rubbish and stupidity. But I don't think Stringster's "un-thanks" button would lead to anything much other than antagonism, unfortunately.

Although, it could be done in a light-hearted way, perhaps. Oh, I don't know - people are always taking offence at things that seem innocuous.

All the forums I visit, I never really look at people's post count. What does a high post count mean ? nothing really, I'll have a look at turning it off if you want, but I really don't see the problem, just ignore it !