Lesson learned - £50 cancellation fee

Jameze

James
Reaction score
I thought it would be prudent to share my first experience of Sky Insurance with ASN.

Backstory; my renewal quote this year was around £780. I phoned Sky Insurance hoping they could beat that given that I was a member of ASN and would receive 20% discount and a competitive price. They came back with £610 - lovely.

I agreed to it and paid immediately over the phone. Minutes later I phoned my existing insurer to tell them not to renew as I had switched and they did the usual thing by seeing what they could do for me regarding the price etc. I had forgotten that my existing policy had a couple of named drivers on the policy so they removed these for me and it dropped massively down to £535! This was before they even knew what Sky had quoted me so I know they weren't just beating their price for the sake of keeping me. I was kicking myself because that's cheaper than Sky's supposed 'competitive' price, even with their 20% discount apparently.

I rang up what must have been 15 minutes later to tell Sky I'd like to cancel that policy (due to start in a couple of days) but was told I'd be subject to a £50 cancellation fee. They kindly offered to reduce my policy to £550, which is more than my existing insurer's quote, but obviously with Sky's extortionate cancellation fee they still came out cheaper so I decided to stick with Sky so that I could weigh up my options. They knew what they were doing.

In addition, I did some research into the insurer they set me up with (Markerstudy) and found the internet awash with horror stories and people telling you to avoid them at all costs. Multiple threads on similar car enthusiast forums telling people about their experiences with this insurer. It was then I decided that I definitely did not want to deal with these people so would go ahead with the cancellation and pay this ludicrous fee. I rang them up the following day (today) and cancelled immediately.

It seems silly that as a first time user of Sky Insurance, my experience has not been great. My insurance deal which was supposed to be competitive and even include a 20% discount was still higher than existing insurer, even after they knocked off £60 (can't have been that competitive if they can do that?).

Yes I should have done more research and in hindsight I'm kicking myself. Especially the part where I didn't ring up my own insurer first (a mistake I won't make again!). But as a sponsor of these forums I trusted I was getting a good deal and with a reputable insurer... clearly not in my opinion.

I could understand a cancellation fee if my policy had started, but when I rang back yesterday it must have been a mere 15 minutes since I last spoke to them and they happily took my card details. For the sake of £50 it seems that Sky Insurance have cut off the nose to spite the face as I won't be recommending them to anyone and certainly won't be using them again myself. It's very disappointing and has left a sour taste in my mouth.

ive heard a few horror stories about sky when it comes to paying out as well. im glad i made one more phone call after sky (green light insurance) which turned out to be almost £200 cheaper than sky without telling them about my best price.

I guess they have to cover admin fees

My experience over the years has taught me to go for the best cover that suits my needs and not necessarily the lowest cost.

Example 1. Adrian Flux. Car hit outside the house in March, repairs carried out in October, it took that long to get it sorted out. Premium doubled on renewal
Example 2. Aviva. Car hit by uninsured driver. 10 minutes on the phone got the repair booked in and a courtesy car sorted. £300 cost uplift on renewal. Called Chris Knott who kept me with Aviva but got the premium lower than I was already paying.
I get my car repaired by City Centre Car Care who are approved by Aviva. I could probably get cheaper cover with someone else but I get a great service from them.

Reactions: ChrisKnottIns