Leshkin's Sepang Blue S3 Money Pit Project

I wonder if RS3 8V injectors are part of your mega sale? :playful:
Jesus, i work for free as it is and i never did get that beer!

But....i started this whole thing with a fresh engine..... So.....

Cost price. You just pay postage on these :)

Nudge me Monday for the price.

Cheers

Mike

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Reactions: leshkin

Cheers

Mike

Mike, you're a bad influence :)

Can't have you doing half a job! Plus I'm here for the love. Not for the money!

Reactions: DJ_26, Sayam, S. and 1 other person

Cheers

Mike

I am also looking at buying the rs 3 8v injectors

Reactions: mjr901
Good set of results there mate. Hopefully I'll get mine running right soon and I'll be joining you in the 400+ club

Good set of results there mate. Hopefully I'll get mine running right soon and I'll be joining you in the 400+ club
Yeah, Rick mentioned your troubles. Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon mate.

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

RS3 injectors have arrived courtesy of @mjr901

8fab76eb11a3f7d751d5ec7c4b515fba.jpg

I have a serious problem... It's called tuneritis... Send help immediately

Reactions: HHS3 and S3Alex
um, i have been advised not to waste my money as only really required if running over 500bhp , a 165 fuel valve is money better spent .

um, i have been advised not to waste my money as only really required if running over 500bhp , a 165 fuel valve is money better spent .
I know, I'm on the TFSI Tuners FB group too

There are two paths to better fueling... Increase fuel rail pressure by using a higher rated FRV and force more fuel through stock injectors or keep a lower rail pressure and get RS3 injectors, which would be running below their max capacity.

First route is cheaper, but second is arguably more reliable as your fuel system is not operating at or beyond its limits thus prolonging life of the injectors, HPFP and cam follower.

The injector route is also more future-proof if you ever go BT... Although Im not planning on going for more power at this time, I said the same about hybrid not long ago

I hear you but a couple of the top tuners have told me the S3 injectors are more than capable upto and at a constant 500 bhp , i will only be going a max 450 so just going to do the 165 valve .

I hear you but a couple of the top tuners have told me the S3 injectors are more than capable upto and at a constant 500 bhp , i will only be going a max 450 so just going to do the 165 valve .

The point about the higher pressure rated valves is the extra load they place on the cam follower.

Leshkin's explanation is very good,and I think makes the point that a higher rated valve can turn out to be a false economy in the long run,as a broken cam follower is a cam change at the very least.
Some of the "top tuners" will do things carefully,and rate the parts correctly for the job intended,and some will simply do what can be done.

For instance,the people I've chosen all advised against this sort of thing....

One other point....your existing LPFP may just about make it to 450bhp,but will be marginal at best,if you haven't already taken care of that.

Fully with you guys , if the standard injectors are rated to 500bhp and i am only going a max 450 (for now lol ) do i need to change them ? if the sensible answer is yes then obviously i will , Alex at AKS has advised me to and he has carried out a lot of work on the car already , I do do things correctly so not being tight lol :)

Fully with you guys , if the standard injectors are rated to 500bhp and i am only going a max 450 (for now lol ) do i need to change them ? if the sensible answer is yes then obviously i will , Alex at AKS has advised me to and he has carried out a lot of work on the car already , I do do things correctly so not being tight lol :)

I'm not going to argue this other than to say that the stock injectors with a 165bar PRV will run to that sort of power but by fitting that valve the rail pressure will be much higher than rated.

Yes,it will work but the best way is not to run a component at its ragged edge(that means the cam follower etc and not the injectors).

I'm not going to argue this other than to say that the stock injectors with a 165bar PRV will run to that sort of power but by fitting that valve the rail pressure will be much higher than rated.

Yes,it will work but the best way is not to run a component at its ragged edge(that means the cam follower etc and not the injectors).
That's absolutely fine Alex and not arguing at all , you are very experienced and I will always listen to good advice , I currently have the Rs4 valve , I will have to fit the 165 valve as I have been told I need it ? I will invest in the Rs3 injectors , thankyou

Got the engine cover sprayed in wrinkle black and some blue detail. The blue is not a very good match, so I might give that a further respray with a darker colour, but overall very happy with the outcome. Wrinkle black looks epic in person though.

20161130 113308

20161130 113255

Oh, and this arrived yesterday!
20161129 111330

Bilstein B16 iRC kit - should be fun getting that installed, but results should be worth the effort and expense :)

Reactions: Sandall92, Jake 61, THQuattro and 4 others
Looking good dude! I have a can of colour match Sprint Blue for sale in the classifieds which would be great for re-doing the blue :whistle2:

Got the engine cover sprayed in wrinkle black and some blue detail. The blue is not a very good match, so I might give that a further respray with a darker colour, but overall very happy with the outcome. Wrinkle black looks epic in person though.

View attachment 111138

View attachment 111139

Oh, and this arrived yesterday!
View attachment 111140

Bilstein B16 iRC kit - should be fun getting that installed, but results should be worth the effort and expense :)

Great job, love the wrinkle black. I had the same problem with the blue so I got rid of the hoses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Off the back of an earlier chat with @S3Alex about good pads to use, I'm adding this for future reference for whoever else is running the Yellow Speed Brake kit (6pot Caliper YSCPF6B) and want performance pads from alternative manufacturers. YSR reference just Ferrodo pads on their website, so I got in touch with Mintex and gave them the Ferrodo part number. They very quickly tracked down the compatible pad for me and apparently these pads are commonly used on AP brakes too.
  • Ferrodo DS2500 Part number: FRP3076H
  • Mintex M1155 Part number: MDB1977M1155
Anyway, I thought it would be useful to put this here for Google to index as I had no luck finding anything online about this :)

Reactions: Sandall92, ninjakid, Rob C and 3 others
Off the back of an earlier chat with @S3Alex about good pads to use, I'm adding this for future reference for whoever else is running the Yellow Speed Brake kit (6pot Caliper YSCPF6B) and want performance pads from alternative manufacturers. YSR reference just Ferrodo pads on their website, so I got in touch with Mintex and gave them the Ferrodo part number. They very quickly tracked down the compatible pad for me and apparently these pads are commonly used on AP brakes too.
  • Ferrodo DS2500 Part number: FRP3076H
  • Mintex M1155 Part number: MDB1977M1155
Anyway, I thought it would be useful to put this here for Google to index as I had no luck finding anything online about this :)

Will be a huge help for me in the future, cheers pal

Helpful as usual cheers mate, will be getting the M1155's in preparation for stage 2+.

Updates are looking good as ever, glad to see Rick is still working his magic very well.

Another update time! :)

As mentioned a few times here, I've been thinking about upgrading my ST X kit ever since I got back from Germany in September and finally it's done. I originally wanted B14 kit to improve the handling over what the softer ST X kit offered, but after reading reviews of B16 kit I decided to go for something with a bit of adjustability to allow the car to be used as a daily/family wagon as well as a capable-ish track day weapon on occasion. With that in mind I went for Bilstein B16 iRC kit, which is their adjustable ridecontrol system, but with an upgraded control module that has additional gizmos. These include processor unit, gyro sensors to detect pitch and roll of the car together with a wifi interface to use with an iPhone or Android phone for managing a number of settings (I’ll get to those in a sec).

On the day of fitting I was quite worried that I just spent a huge amount of money to get just a marginal improvement at best and spent most of the day feeling quite deflated as a result. The car was left with Alex at Storm with the hope of it being completed on the same day and I went about my day.

Fitting the kit was a pig mainly because of all the extra wiring that needed to be installed. I planned to do all of the wiring myself ahead of the visit to Storm, but very cold weather last weekend meant that I ended up getting ill and had to abandon that plan mid-way, and rely on Storm to finish what I started with the wiring, as well as installing the coilovers themselves. Perhaps the fact that interior of my car looked like a prop from a Mad Max movie set for much of the week was something to do with my mood on the day too :)
20161203 124528 20161203 124538 20161203 124551
Anyway, guys at Storm finished what I started, wired up everything and were done on time. I picked up the car and was very keen to find out what difference the new kit made - it definitely felt a bit firmer, but supple over bumps still. It seemed to absorb bumps a little better than the outgoing ST X kit, but it was an odd feeling, especially after the day I had in Storm’s VW Polo, which felt like the bottom of the car had no connection to the rest of the body!

I spent a good while navigating the rush hour traffic on my way home and followed Waze app directions, which was intent on avoiding the accidents that seemed to litter the M4 last night. The detour took me on some smaller roads and turned out to be a very good initial test for the new suspension as I ended up driving on a variety of good and bad surfaces while playing between the suspension modes.

The iRC system expands the normal ridecontrol hard/soft setup with addition of three modes: Comfort, Normal and Sport. They all boil down to how the system switches between soft and hard settings on the dampers. The way the shocks and spring are setup out of the box is firm, but offer a very nice supple feeling in how they deal with road imperfections.

The Comfort+ setting will favor the softer dampter setting and offers a relatively comfortable, but sporty ride without feeling too soft.

The Normal and Sport+ settings stay in the softer setting if you are not hooning about, but are much more eager to switch into the stiffer damper mode if the system detects that the car is hard on the brakes or taking a corner with some vigour :) It’s an odd feeling as I didn’t immediately feel any difference between comfort, normal and sport modes, but you have to give the car some beans to notice it as you can’t think of them as hard or soft modes (like standard ridecontrol kit), but rather they represent pre-defined profiles of how aggressive the system will be when deciding when to switch between them. As a result you can quite easily stay in the medium ‘Normal’ preset mode all day and enjoy a comfy ride, while still be able to hammer the car around a corner whenever you want and enjoy it.

You switch between the modes by using the included button, which cycles through the three profiles. The selected mode is reflected in the way the button is illuminated.

You can also configure customised settings for these profiles and set other preferences in the expert mode, via the phone app. These allow you to define how quickly the system will switch to hard setting when it detects that car’s pitch and roll angle goes past the trigger point, which is also configurable!
Screenshot 2016 12 08 13 38 32 Screenshot 2016 12 08 13 38 27 Screenshot 2016 12 08 13 38 22

Monitor and adjust profile settings as you are driving. Obviously this is intended to be done by the passenger :)

Screenshot 2016 12 07 18 37 33
I still need to use the system for a few more days to really understand it fully and tune it to get the most out of it, but my first impressions are that it’s an amazing piece of engineering that offers a huge improvement in handling over anything that I’ve experienced before! Biggest issue with it is the cost of the kit itself and the added complexity of fitting all the wiring/ module, etc...

Reactions: THQuattro, NL316, swatchuk and 4 others
looks insane, can you control the drop on the app too, or is that still done via coil nuts?

looks insane, can you control the drop on the app too, or is that still done via coil nuts?
No, height is still via the usual method.

It is a very effective setup though... This S3 is slowly turning into my dream car. The handling is pretty spot-on now.

Reactions: THQuattro, NL316, swatchuk and 2 others
With that in mind I went for Bilstein B16 iRC kit, which is their adjustable ridecontrol system, but with an upgraded control module that has additional gizmos. These include processor unit, gyro sensors to detect pitch and roll of the car together with a wifi interface to use with an iPhone or Android phone for managing a number of settings.

it definitely felt a bit firmer, but supple over bumps still. It seemed to absorb bumps a little better than the outgoing ST X kit, but it was an odd feeling, especially after the day I had in Storm’s VW Polo, which felt like the bottom of the car had no connection to the rest of the body!

I spent a good while navigating the rush hour traffic on my way home and followed Waze app directions, which was intent on avoiding the accidents that seemed to litter the M4 last night.

Glad you're enjoying the Bilstein B16 iRC coilovers, it sounds like a really neat bit of kit! Bet you can't wait to get it back out on the track now with these on as well, along your new engine, turbo and remap! :racer: I love fancy gizmo's but it will be a long while until I can afford a decent set of coilovers for my S3.. H&R lowering springs, H&R ARBs and SuperPro ALK next year will have to do for now.

I know all too well of Storms amazing VW Polo.. :unamused: That clutch is seriously sh@gged, I'm surprised it's still going! As for M4 accidents, they have been the bane of my life in recent months!

I'll have to contact you in the new year about me coming round so you can help finish wiring up those RCA suppressors to my Xtrons Android HU haha. I'll bring some beers and petty money for that TTE420 :grimacing::superman:

makes my standard b16 kit look a bit naff lol , still to get it fitted , AKS are doing it on the 16th January , great car mate , love it .

makes my standard b16 kit look a bit naff lol , still to get it fitted , AKS are doing it on the 16th January , great car mate , love it .

I think yours would allow for more fine adjustment though and given a more focused nature of your build, probably a more appropriate choice. I have to say though, the B16 kit is amazing.

I just went out from a short drive to calibrate the controller and still chuffed with how well they work.

Reactions: S3Alex
Went out for a long drive last Sunday on some A/B roads from Guildford to Goodwood with a few people (VW Golf R with 540bhp, 2x 400bhp BMW M135i, plus a few others). Not my photo, but I can't remember who took it:
FB IMG 1481481580594

I was totally blown away by how great the car felt with the B16s! Roll in the corners, dive under braking and squat under hard acceleration are massively reduced now - I could not believe how much of a difference they made! I think the combination of the hard mode on the shocks and progressive springs are the main reason for this.

Car can carry much more corner speed than I'm willing to on a cold/wet public road. The ST kit was a nice change from stock and I was raving about how much nicer they were when I originally upgraded, but the Bilstein kit is just such a step-up in every respect from the ST.

I now had an opportunity to calibrate the controller and understand the nuances of how the system works a bit more. Comfort+ mode is quite reluctant to switch to the hard setting and normal driving is quite similar to ST X kit in terms of general comfort. Saying that, the car remains quite flat through corners and on occasion does switch to hard setting, so a decent bump mid-corner at speed can still be a little bit harsh.

Normal mode is the one that can be customised via the app, but I haven't really fiddled with one of three profiles for this mode that much - my prefered mode is normal here and it seems to provide a decent balance between comfort and handling. This is my default setting for now.

Sport+ mode is the most aggressive of the lot and can be quite unbearable on rough surface, but offers a great amount feedback when you are pressing-on. You can really feel what the car is doing under you at any point, which inspires confidence. It still stays in soft shock setting, but even a small increase in acceleration in any direction will quickly switch it to hard so makes it less than ideal for use as a permanent setting. Some might like it, but I found it too uncomfortable under normal driving as you end up feeling every road imperfection on the road.

Being able to take advantage of all of the above at a flick of a switch is still a novelty for me. I never had a car that had magnetic ride or the like, so being able to switch between them feels like christmas every time.

It totally transformed how I see this car now - it's less of a straight line rocket and is a very competent corner muncher. Still a heavy car among hatches, but one that is very light on it's feet. I even recon it could give my mate's properly sorted Honda Integra DC2 a run for its money in the twisties... I'm now totally smitten with it, is the phrase I think :hearteyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake 61, THQuattro, NL316 and 3 others
Went out for a long drive last Sunday on some A/B roads from Guildford to Goodwood with a few people (VW Golf R with 540bhp, 2x 400bhp BMW M135i, plus a few others). Not my photo, but I can't remember who took it:
View attachment 112230

I took the photo my friend haha :hi:
It was a great run on Sunday. This bit of kit looks like money well spent. I was well impressed when we shook the car and the readings on your phone showed the spike in movement. Would be great to see what she can do around the track one day.

Reactions: leshkin and S3Alex
Hi all! Hope you are all doing well with this miserable weather?

I'm going through the dirty phase in my life - decided to book a detailing session next week to get some paint correction sorted out and at least try to keep her celan :)

RS3 injectors have arrived courtesy of @mjr901

8fab76eb11a3f7d751d5ec7c4b515fba.jpg

I have a serious problem... It's called tuneritis... Send help immediately

My disease is worse... IWANTITIS !

Why do people need to make upgraded turbos, mention R8 coilpacks, promote camber plates and subframe bushings and then make color changing LED's while showing leather covered silver stitched RS3 arm rests and grab handles. I mean really people...just keep your ideas to yourself and stop taking my money. The worst offender was the smart *** who had to put a Q3 HVAC into an S3. That was so unfair. Then to post a picture of chrome foot controls was so unnecessary. I was really annoyed to have seen audiretrofits and Kowalski details. Then NHN had to have his own thread section. God, I love you guys because my car is so freaking awesome. So I say thanks and move on...

Reactions: NL316, -Ju-, HHS3 and 2 others
Good shout leshkin I would highly reccomend FMdetailing his name is Fran based basingstoke but is mobile check his facebook page out he done an amazing job on my S3 looks like a totally different car !

Reactions: HHS3 and leshkin
Good shout leshkin I would highly reccomend FMdetailing his name is Fran based basingstoke but is mobile check his facebook page out he done an amazing job on my S3 looks like a totally different car !
Nice! I saw your post Matt, looks like great results!

I have spoken to him a few months ago and was waiting to sort out a couple of dings/chips before getting him involved. He's coming on Tuesday to do a full paint correction detail

I actually worked with his brother at my last place... Small world lol

Reactions: thewanted and Smirky
Nice! I saw your post Matt, looks like great results!

I have spoken to him a few months ago and was waiting to sort out a couple of dings/chips before getting him involved. He's coming on Tuesday to do a full paint correction detail

I actually worked with his brother at my last place... Small world lol

Yes mate it is indeed a small world !
Your be over the moon with the results mate ,
I was really surprised at just how bad the paint was !

My disease is worse... IWANTITIS !

Why do people need to make upgraded turbos, mention R8 coilpacks, promote camber plates and subframe bushings and then make color changing LED's while showing leather covered silver stitched RS3 arm rests and grab handles. I mean really people...just keep your ideas to yourself and stop taking my money. The worst offender was the smart *** who had to put a Q3 HVAC into an S3. That was so unfair. Then to post a picture of chrome foot controls was so unnecessary. I was really annoyed to have seen audiretrofits and Kowalski details. Then NHN had to have his own thread section. God, I love you guys because my car is so freaking awesome. So I say thanks and move on...

Your a bad influence!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just read this all the through. This is the colour i wanted for my car... found the perfect spec but it was manual(gutted).

I know how you feel with a dodgy engine. I did mine on my subaru. And i did exactly the same as you. Just made it better and stronger and didnt worry about the cost...

I hope to do a lot to my S3 in the coming years but having spoke to a few people and me being sensible and not chasing power (which i want to) coming from a 370bhp classic subaru. It to do some maintenance work and a few cosmetics.

Car is lovely and credit to you

Reactions: millsy4002, S3Alex and leshkin