1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legality after Lowering, warning, this verges on a moany rant.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by Kaibo, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Kaibo

Kaibo Member

Ok so I've just been pulled at one of those mass car checks, seemed very biased in their selection choices, to me anyway, modified/boy racers, fair enough. Anyway, give them my licence and off they trot to check my insurance etc. Well while I'm waiting some bored cop points out to the other officers how he can't get his fingers in my front arches, needs to check with his boss to see if I'm good. I'm kept waiting for ages, I ask if I leave my wallet and phone can I continue and collect my children from school, they're waiting for me round the corner (not that this adds relevance), to be spoken to like **** by some woman with a major chip on her shoulder. So eventual boss man comes over, asking me to full lock while checking for rubbing, now I know it doesn't rub so I'm happy for him to continue, he then starts bouncing full weight on my arch, not overly happy with his technique. As he walks around pass my open window I causally remark in a light hearted manner "very scientific" to which he replied "very illegal!". Now I am always respectful to the police but by this point I'm getting slightly miffed, the officers talking to me about my car and suspension cleanly hasn't a clue about cars and anything technical in motoring terms.
    So now we get to the part where I'm out at the side of the road being told What's happening, audi spending millions on suspension etc etc, kicking my tyre, resting his boot on my alloy spoke, I'm biting my lip. Then 2 minutes of silence while he thinks what to do, tick tock tick tock, so eventually he says he's not going to do me for it this time but I need to raise it, then I'm on my way, the woman officer chewing wasps for him letting me go lol.
    All I can take from this is that he had nothing to do me for but didn't want to look foolish, what legal requirements does a lowered car need to tick. Amazes me that they have Roadside checks carried out by people with such little vehicle knowledge, surely that's what vosa are for?
    Cheers kai
  2. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

If it's all declared on your insurance, and fitted professionally, can't see how it is illegal? Very strange.
    sliced likes this.
  3. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor

Hope you got his number. Straight down the local station to report him and for his blatant disregard for your property.....Traffic Police nowadays...... I hate them..........nothing else better to do than stop and winge at you and stuff their face full of take-aways when on night shift.

You dont have to have brains to be a Police officer nowadays..............the more bent and racist you are then the more chance you have of getting in.

My dad was an ex copper....CID, crime squad etc etc and he was so happy when he retired due to the ever increasing levels of corruption and get ahead attitude within the force.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    davc and A4_MaJiK like this.
  4. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Saddly traffic police often know sweet FA when it comes to cars. They know about speeding, insurance and road tax but very rarely do they know about the ins and outs of the cars. If it's not scrubbing or catching at all and you have delcared you are fine. You should have requested teh car be inspected by a VOSA official rather than have the opinion of a clueless cretin.

I had a row with a traffic cop in Herts a few months ago when he tried to issue a ticket for my illegal number plate. He was quite smug telling me he was having me for it. The look on his face when I quoted BS AU 145d and showed him all the plate markings. Suddenly smug ******* policeman wasn't nearly so smug, I offered to see him in court if he so chose.

Problem is I deal with the police frequently for work and on the whole they are a good bunch, as is always the case you get arseholes and you always remember dealing with an arsehole
  5. Kaibo

Kaibo Member

Yeah to be fair, I've never really had a problem before, you treat them with respect and you normally get the same back, I'm hoping today was a one off.
    I remember what the woman shouted at me now, when I asked if I could leave my phone and wallet so I could grab my kids, she spat out that I'm not going anywhere with illegal wheels, nice to see she was in the loop lol. Love being treated like a criminal
  6. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

I would seriously take the car in and get it inspected by a friendly garage/MOT tester and get a report to say the car is 100% legal and fine (providing you of course with an invoice for said report). I would then send it to the police station outlining fully what the officers told you and state that as you had the car inspected and no illigalities were found you wish to claim the reports cost back from them as their advice/threats were clearly completely wrong. I would also be asking why officers without suffient knowledge or understanding of motor vehicles were carrying out such checks. I would also threatening a phone call to the press as the do like to give the police a kick from time to time.

When I complained about an incorrectly issued ticket of a traffic cop before, oddly also in Herts I complained to the station and got a telephone call from the Inspector who couldn't have been more apologetic over the incident.
  7. TonyH38

TonyH38 Member

As stated you do not have to have brains to be in the force,my dealings in the past when cleaning shop fronts early morning the worst ones were the motorcycle patrol aptly named the Gestapo.