'Left Dipped headlight'

hambo1412

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Im new to the whole forum thing. I have a 06 plate Audi A3 8P 2.0 tdi 140.

About two/three weeks ago I had the 'left dipped head' error message come up on the dash. It came on and went off intermitantly for a day or so. I didnt think anything of it as the lights were working fine. Last weekend I was driving back home from a weekend away and the error message came up again and the left dipped headlight went out. Main beam still works fine. I stopped at the next garage and thought that a new bulb would solve the problem. WRONG! I spent about 20 minutes in the dark trying to work out the problem then gave up and carried on the next 100 miles with full beams on as low low level setting as I could.

Since then Ive looked at the fuses but I can't seem to find if the headlights are individually fused? Im not very car/electrical savy!

Ive looked at various forums but they mainly link to HID lights. Mine are the standed lights with halogen H7 bulbs.

I wanted to see if any has had the same problem and solved it before I take it to Audi to have my bank account drained. Any ideas?

Sounds like a dodgy bulb or a loose connection, you should be fine changing it yourself. by the way, unless i'm mistaken the full beams cannot be adjusted up or down, that setting is only for the dipped lights! you'd have blinded thousands of drivers!!!

Thanks for the reply anthonyess.

I will take the headlight unit out at the weekend and have a look at all the connections. Ive switched the bulbs from both left hand and right hand side and the one from the right (that was working) didnt work on the left hand side and the one from the left hand side worked in the right. So will check all connections as I said and see what happens.

The lights seemed to go down a little, I might have just been me seeing what I wanted to see though. However my lights weren't as bright as most of the dipped lights on newer vehicles and 4x4's these days, I wouldnt have driven otherwise.

Strange! Exactly the same thing happened to me on the way home!! Same year car as yours also!! Not had a chance to check any wiring yet though as assumed it was the bulb which had gone...

That is strange! Hopefully for you its just the bulb which has gone. Im not looking forward to a full inspection by Audi if I cant find the problem! Will keep you posted if I find anything, if you could do the same also hopefully we can sort them out without too much cost!

ive ordered the bulbs so hopefully they should be with me tomorrow! Yeah if you could let me know, i would appreciate it. Will let you know how i get on.

Might be worth contacting someone with VCDS to scan the car?

Took the headlight off this weekend, checked the earthing wire, and all the wiring leading to the headlight, nothing doing on that side of thing so put it all back together and took the car to audi today. The guy said its likely that I will need to replace the headlight unit. There price - £211.10. He told me to check that will work by doing the foolowing. Take both headlights off and connect the left hand light that doesnt work to the right hand connector and via-versa this will show if its the headlight unit or not. Going to do this tomorrow afterwork. Before I do though does anyone know if the wiring connectors will be the same on both side and fit the other headlights, as I thought that they may be opposite wiring and not fit? Any ideas?

the connectors will be the same, its a good idea to try it out. it may just be a bulb... you could always buy those replacement bulbs off ebay for like £40ish and give it a try?

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know I switched the headlights over and the left side that wasn't working, works when plugged in on the right hand side.

This now makes it sound like a wiring issue.

Ive bitten the bullet and it is in at Audi today for diagnosis (£78! per hour check)

Will update you with what they say...

So here's the solution...but at a cost!

Audi phoned back, had the car on their diagnosis machine computer thing! The problem is with the On-Board Supply Control Unit, and it will have to be replaced at a cost of.... wait for it..... £329.68!!! inc vat, this is on top of the £78 for diagnosing the problem!

Part is on order and is being installed tomorrow!