Leeeaaaak!!!

petewon

Reaction score
Well I just got an 8P A3 last week and whilst driving today the coolant light came on. Popped the bonnet and the coolant had dropped quite a bit since I checked it before buying it. Anyways, looking back through the history I noticed the previous owner had it back to Audi over a suspected coolant leak. Audi didn't find anything, but replaced the rad due to a recall or something.

Bottom line is its going back to the garage I bought it from tomorrow for them to try and find the leak but my question is, is there anywhere on this model that is known to leak. Like on the B6 1.8ts the manifold at the back of the head was prone to failure, just wondering if there were any similar faults with this engine (2.0 FSI).

Just trying to give them a bit of a heads up.:)

Cheers :thumbsup:

I have had the same problem with my 2.0FSI. I have it two years now and its been in the dealers 6 times over that period with coolant loss. They have replaced the head which was cracked and is an issue on early 2.0FSI, the rad and all piping and most recently (im not too mechanically minded) they replaced a bung at the back of the head which they believe was the problem all the time, it was leeking coolant slowly. The car has not used any coolant since then, thats 3 months ago. I would have gladly gotten rid of the car 12 months ago but we were in the middle of house renovations and just could not justify the extra costs involved

Cheers mate, I would have hoped that Audi would have spotted it if the head was gone :(. The bung in the back sounds quite promising though, that was a big issue with the 1.8ts.

Thanks again Ill let them know. :thumbsup:

Dont be be so sure that Audi will spot a cracked head, they did not in my case, it took two further visits and and my insistance that they pressure test the head, also, add the the list above an erg valve and new fans before they replaced the head. When they did send the head for testing it had six cracks in it, as i said before the heads had a casting fault in the earlier models and some ended up "porous". Needed topping up every 2.5 - 3 months before the bung replacement, that level of leakage would be consistant with a defective bung.

Ok cheers, mine seems a lot faster than that. 3-5 days id say. Ill let them know its a common failure.

Thakns again :thumbsup:

Mine had a slow coolant leak, see my threads from late last year.

Had it fixed, they replaced the oil cooler.

Well Ive just had a call off the garage to say its the waterpump. Surely Audi would have picked up on that??

We will see.