1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED swap

Khufu Mar 4, 2010

1. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

I thought i'd make a few changes to my Aircon unit to match the new 2010 white LED cluster

Had thought about changing the display illumination but the LEDs behind it are of a 4 pin nature & looked harder to do then the 2 pin ones I did!

[​IMG]

2. khalil

khalil Member

looks smart mate, you have a full photo of the whole dash?

3. scottie123

scottie123 (●̮̮̃•̃) (●&#

Top work!

Yes, a full dash pic would be nice to appreciate it in all it's glory

4. EvolutionV

EvolutionV Member

Cool, i want

5. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Ooooh I'm liking that! They're not as bright as they appear in the photo though are they?

6. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

I dont have any pics of whole dash, will get.

They aren't as bright as they look, more crisp (see how the red ones I kept glow too), I had to take pic with flash off or it washed everything out so a bit longer exposure I guess.

Not brave enough to touch RNS-E LOL

7. Staz

How long did it take? What's involved?? Questions questions!!!

8. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

bought these to try :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-ULTRA-BR...al_Components_Supplies_ET?hash=item53df38ca3e

having matched specs to this item:

http://shop.wiltec.info/product_info.php/info/p2204_15-LED-PnP-VW-Tachobeleuchtung--weiss.html

They worked & looked fine so ordered some more (needed 14 for what I have done)

When you strip the unit you will see the LEDs on the board. You need to de-solder old ones & solder new ones in making sure they are oriented the same direction being LEDs. I googled a few tutorials on removal of SMT LEDs before attempting! Easy? mmmm, not too bad depending if you have ever used a solder iron though I must say - my soldering wasn't pretty!

9. Staz

Are the biasing resistors in place already meaning that it's "just" the LED swap that's needed??

10. Pii

Pii Member

Looks VERY nice!

Shame I dont have the skills to do these clever ideas!!

11. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

there were guys doing it for the vw clusters etc on ebay, worth a look perhaps i acree its a nice mod though id go with blue and a golf r cluster style colour scheme

12. kkp0897

kkp0897 Active Member

Top job there mate. Well done.