Led Problem

BaileyA3

Reaction score
Hi guys, wondering if anybody can help me. I fitted some error free (I know not really any such thing) numberplate LEDs about a week ago and they worked fine but front left indicator stopped working with a message on the dash but this sorted itself out the next morning on the way to work. Then the rear left brake light would very occasionally throw up an error message but then sort itself out (this I could live with). But then tonight I removed the LEDs to reposition the angle of the light slightly, after putting them back in the rear left tail light stopped working completely but only error on the dash was the indicator. I switched back to the standard halogen number plate bulbs and went for a drive round the block and by the time I got back the tail light and brake light we're working again but the rear left indicator still not working. Anyone got any ideas why?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Paul.

Update:
So I got in the car today and it flashed up that rear left light wasn't working and rear left indicator then halfway through the journey flashed up for rear left brake light. When I got home I turned the lights on and rear left light was working but still no indicator, I touched the top of the light and it was quite warm!? Maybe the brake light was on all the way, I don't know. It's really starting to frustrate me now. If anybody has any ideas on how to sort this it would be massively appreciated.

The first thing I would suspect would be a bad earth. If another light was on then the ground would not be at 0V so depending on timing etc... the computer might show one at random as being faulty.
Best way to test would be to turn on the lights and get someone to press the brake and indicate and see if any of the lights dim when there are more than one on at the same time.

The first thing I would suspect would be a bad earth. If another light was on then the ground would not be at 0V so depending on timing etc... the computer might show one at random as being faulty.
Best way to test would be to turn on the lights and get someone to press the brake and indicate and see if any of the lights dim when there are more than one on at the same time.

Could this still be a possibility considering their was no problem before I messed with the number plate lights? Also would the dimming test still work considering the only bulb lighting up is the normal lights? Brake and indicators not coming on at all now although brake was still coming on yesterday. Thanks for your reply.

I am not really sure. If only the regular lights are working then take a look at night by comparing them at the same angle. If there is a bad earth one will be dimmer although it will not be as noticeable.

Ok just checked and both lights were the same. This time though when I turned ignition on the only faults that came up we're front and rear left indicators although the front left was actually working fine when I flicked them on, only the rear left not working. Rear left brake light working again also. I've also got led side lights fitted, any idea if this could be causing the problem? I thought they would only cause problems at the front if anything but could be wrong. No problems when fitting them last week though.

mine is a 2009 face lift but has older ce unit . vcds cent electric ,coding ,long coding , you can turn bulb check off in there ,

so that it doesn't detect the led bulbs are in .

mine is a 2009 face lift but has older ce unit . vcds cent electric ,coding ,long coding , you can turn bulb check off in there ,

so that it doesn't detect the led bulbs are in .

Is this the thing with the lead plugged between car and laptop? And is it still ok for mot etc to have it switched off? I know there's a guy on here that sells the LEDs for my car that work, going to order some off him for side lights and number plates if he has them in stock. Just want to figure out how to get my rear light working again, really bugging me now lol

yes vcds is the diagnostic lead and software for vw audi group cars . turning off bulb checking is ok ,doesn't effect mot

Ah ok, this sound good. Will have to see if there is someone close by who can do this for me. Thanks for your replays mate.

Quick update:

Replacing brake, tail and indicator bulbs seems to have fixed the problem. Strange as they were fine before I messed with the number plate lights and although errors were coming up for all bulbs in the lamp the only bulb not working was indicator but as I say new bulbs has sorted it just incase anybody else has a similar problem.