1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED - Now autumns here

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by twig, Sep 19, 2013.

1. twig

twig Member

[Sep 19, 2013]
    Now it's getting darker at night, in the northern hemisphere, is there anyone with LED headlights who can say it's a worth while extra? Also what about the cabin led upgrade, is that a proposition or just a bit of tarting up?
    They say it's like driving in daytime.......now come on!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Sep 19, 2013]
    Xenon lights are plenty bright enough for me!
  4. twig

twig Member

[Sep 19, 2013]
    But how do you know?
    My wife hates night driving but if LED is as good as it says? then that's another thing. I can drive out for a little drinkie and she can drive back without complaining. Must be good. A win, win situation.
  5. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

[Sep 19, 2013]
    Xenon outputs around 2.5 times the light output of Halogen. LED is somewhere in between. The principal led benefit is the increased efficiency i.e. a marginal reduction in fuel consumption. The emphasis is on marginal. Xenon is the best.
  6. cemerson

[Sep 19, 2013]
    You can have very variable beam patterns with LED too which let you do all sorts of cool things like selectively masking parts of the beam where other cars / people are and lighting up everything around them, but I agree that Xenons are probably brighter - I can't imagine LEDs being as bright.

I was testing the variable range headlight control on my car this weekend and it's very impressive. It struggled slightly with hills but that can't be helped even normally - if you are cresting a hill, then cars coming up the hill towards you will see your dipped beam as 'full' anyway, however you have it set up! All the other times though it detected the cars in front and the cars coming towards me, and adjusted the beam to fall slightly below their lights, constantly adjusting as they came nearer and went past - didn't have to switch the beam manually throughout the entire journey!
  7. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

[Sep 19, 2013]
    well I ordered LED headlights but didn't receive them yet .

However, I know 2 people that have and they can't stop telling they are wayyyyyy better than xenon, brighter and better for the eyes.

plus you got motorway mode and others that xenon haven't

aloso remember LED have "Variable headlight range control" and "adaptative headlight included" !
  8. smk82

smk82 Member

[Sep 19, 2013]
    Motorway mode??
  9. BGS

BGS Member

[Sep 19, 2013]
    Same here, I've ordered but not yet taken delivery.

One of the main selling points, if Audi material is to be believed, is that the spectrum of the LED lights more closely resembles that of natural light. So although they may not be technically as bright the illumination is clearer and easier on the eye than the cooler light of xenon. I guess this makes a difference if you are driving for prolonged periods at night.

Plus they look fairly awesome!
  10. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

[Sep 19, 2013]
    here it is for the A7 and A6, but it's the same for the A3 : LED headlights > A7 Sportback > Audi Coimbatore
    Audi A6 LED Headlights

and there is also this "all weather mode" that seems to be very good when it's raining :

"When driving on regular or high speed roads in bad weather conditions, the Adverse Weather system concentrates lighting on certain areas of vision, thus reducing glare due to reflections from wet roads or fog."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  11. twig

twig Member

[Sep 19, 2013]
    Now this is what I was getting at.

They resemble daytime light and therefore have less strain on the eye and also for those coming the other way. I remember well when I first got my Mercedes S class with xenon in 1999. It seemed to, going by the mad flashing back, glare at people even in dipped, but it has to be admitted this seems to have stopped nowadays. Perhaps people are used to the extra odd looking bright light and yes I have a 14 year old S class bought from new and it's my darling even now. Even if it only does about 20 mpg (4.3 ltr petrol)

At the end of the day it will be very interesting just how much LED encroach on the Xenon patch in the years to come.
  12. Fragup

Fragup Member

[Sep 19, 2013]
    I have gone for the standard xenons blind as came with S Line and just saw it as a bonus on upgraded appearance / spec and then was pleasantly surprised at the feed back on them, but until now saw LEDs as a cool gimmick, but can see the advantages of the technology now, far more advanced than I had thought.
    Will become cheaper / standard over time if as good as it appears to be. may be next time.
  13. dieseldoug

dieseldoug Member

[Sep 19, 2013]
    Standard led exnon lights on the s-line , I also think they are better than my Q5 xenon's
  14. cemerson

[Sep 19, 2013]
    LEDs already are cheap, it's just Audi that rip you off for them - look at the Seat Leon for example, far cheaper!
  15. max22

max22 New Member

[Sep 20, 2013]
    Agree with the majority here. Xenon Plus does the trick for me, anyway LED are far to expensive in my opinion (and that is twice the Price than xenon plus, here in Denmark. A prober rip off).
  16. twig

twig Member

[Sep 20, 2013]
    Very hard to put a price on safety. I'm 68 (but a young one) :scared2: and as time goes by a better view of the road in front will probably keep me night driving for longer and of course make it safer for other drivers. Also can't stress enough just how good it would be to find my wife driving more at night. She hates it at the moment but if the light is more like day light it could swing things.
    Guess time will tell but I'm still looking forward to finding out when I get delivery December.