1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leather seats and dyeing

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Scrappy, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Scrappy

Scrappy New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum, bought a second hand A3 1.8T yesterday, adn there's a few things that I need to do to the car, before i'm happy with it. Number 1 problem for me at the minute is the interior. When I saw the car listed the pictures showed what looked like a nice cream leather interior, but once I got the car, the colour of the leather is more like a greeny/yellow mustard colour, and I really don't like it at all. I have searched on yahoo and have found kits for dyeing the seats black, at around £80. However, I have no experience of this, I don't know how difficult it would be, and i'd feel much more comfortable if I knew where I could get someone to do it for me professionally. Has anyone got any recommendations of places to go? Or past experience of dyeing leather themsleves? Thanks for any help!!
  2. ben_turbo1

ben_turbo1 Member

Don't do it i spend a lot of time and money dying a set of leather recaros and was never happy, the leather would have a protective coating on it to stop it from getting stains, you'll find most of the companies who advertise leather dye its actually more like a paint that they are selling that WILL scratch of and look awfull.

Thats my experience all i can sugest is sell what you've got and buy a set in the colour you want.
  3. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

Have you tried Auto Glym leather cleaner?

It may be just the case they are filthy and need a good clean...

Trust me I have the "silver" leather and you have to keep on top of them each month.

Give them a very good clean before anything drastic and i'm sure you will be pleased with the results!