leak on oil return pipe to sump

barters3

Reaction score
At the weekend i dropped the sump for a clean out, then replaced. i noticed a small oil leak today and found that it was coming from the oil return pipe where it connects to the sump.

I tried tightening the allen bolts. one of which has stripped the thread on the sump!

Does any body know whether il be able to redrill and tap the sump and replace with a bolt with a slightly larger thread diameter?

you would be able to retap it but I paid about 35 pound for a new sump which might be the easier solution.

mike

i can get a new sump. its just the fact that i took the time to drop it and clean it at the weekend, dont fancy removing it all again. going to try and re tap it. maybe even try and put a decent self tapping screw in there.

i can get a new sump. its just the fact that i took the time to drop it and clean it at the weekend, dont fancy removing it all again. going to try and re tap it. maybe even try and put a decent self tapping screw in there.

Do it properly and retap it - a self tapper won't be as good. Get a new gasket for it as well.

the gasket is new so that will be ok.
Iv had another look today and i will re tap it as you suggested welly. Ill tackle it on saturday if the weather holds.

I had a leaky return pipe.
The gasket cost me 79p from from my local dealer. Oil filter was the worst part about it!