Lcr Top Mounts.... Look to have failed already

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
As title says, looks like my lcr top mounts have failed already, they've only been fitted 10 months and around 6-8k miles and they look to be shot.

Went clunk hunting tonight, jacked the car up and took the passenger side wheel off, every suspension component was sold except for around the top mount area.
Their was paly in that area and a low pitched version of the knocking im getting.

So has anyone else had this? Going to get a garage to double check but if its right im looking at fitting these:

Alloy Suspension Turret Top Mount Vag Audi TT S3 Seat Leon Golf Mk4 Skoda Octavi | eBay

Will they be up to withstanding harsh roads and collies?

I believe my current setup may have helped kill them quicker, im running kw v2 collies and they were set pretty hard and the roads around me are ****e.

I know thats thing, the top mount and turret were loose mate, so i tightened them up last week but the 11mm nut on the kw damper has turned to mush so cant grip it anymore, going to get a garage to air gun the 21mm nuts and see if that helps, how do you tighten the nuts up mate?

Worrying as I was looking into these as advised by Gops too. How much of a difference over standard are they?

Much harder than std.. tbh I cannot see how there can be an issue as these are OEM mounts... I have had no issues whatsoever with mine on my B8's... this could just be an isolated incident... these are no worse than the std ones tbh...

<tuffty/>

Thought thats the best way, is it normal for the top mount turrets to have movement? i.e. if i use a 21mm drop spanner i can move them left or right?

Hmmm same thing happened to me, top mount and bearing were clunking badly after hitting a pothole, found it was because I had fitted the top mount upside down so the bearing wasn't correctly supported - the bearing was smashed to bits!!!

As tufty said this may just be a isolated incident, im going to get them impact gunned and see how they are, if that doesnt work then i know their 100% shot and ill be getting the rose jointed ones.

Double checked mate, their are definitely fitted the right way :).

They will move left to right when jacked up :/ if there is excessive movement when there's load on it or if one sits higher than other, there ********. I presume you replaced bearing at the same time

I still can't see how it would be the mount tbh... they do compress over time but I would imagine (depending on how low you have the coil overs) they could get wobbly on them... on a set of normal struts I am struggling to see how they could go unless the bearings have gone...

IMAG0700.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0701.jpg

IMAG0703.jpg

<tuffty/>

Tufty did you get a knocking when the bearing went? The car is quite low, id say theirs less than a inch gap between the wheel and wing.

Sportstractor: yes their is still movement on the passenger even when not jacked up and all 4 wheels are on the floor and yeah i replaced both front struts with new oem bearings.

Mine made a horrible clunking when mine went, mostly when going over bumps and turning, even minuet ones

What when your mounts went or the bearings? Mine is knocking even over slight differences in tarmac.

Bearing went, I think it's wise to change both if doing the job, lemforder ones are dead cheap and the same thing :)

If the bearings have gone then ill be changing the whole lot, less than 8 months and £15 worth of bearings shot, its going to start adding up lol.

Well ill get the top mounts impact tightened on saturday, if the knockings still their then ill get them took apart and see whats what but im not holding my breath lol.

If I was you I would not buy them alloy suspension top
Mounts,I fitted them and was not impressed
Alot of road noise and loads of noise when turning
The wheels lock to lock
Just think about it
Two pieces of aluminium top and bottom with two silly
"o" rings and in the middle is your cars shock hole
Trust me eats the o ring up in no time
Total crap

Oh right, so did you have the above ones then mate? The last thing i want is that kind of hassle, i cant do with the knocking ive got now, so if a get a constant similar noise from the above even when fitted right, that's proper p*** me off.

Stacey has rose jointed top mounts. They're used on plenty of cars too. If you go with a good rose joint they should be fine...

If it helps, I have a similar knocking over small bumps sometimes but I know that my wishbone bushes need doing. My top mounts and bearings are new and tight as a camels **** in a dust storm.

Ill drop him a pm.

Aint them mate, their all brand new and less than 6 month old and no movement at all in th.

Dani did you ever sort this, I'm getting this noise and I'm sure it's the top mounts! Around sheff this weekend if your free, was wondering if you could help me diagnose this bluddy noise to weather it actually is the top mounts!

I wish it was mate, it turned out to be the ****** coilover, £300 later and the noise was fixed.

Ill happily meet up mate but can today, if it was yesterday id have been free lol. Drop me a pm with your number and well sort out meeting, you up next weekend (friday onwards im free).

Dani did you ever sort this, I'm getting this noise and I'm sure it's the top mounts! Around sheff this weekend if your free, was wondering if you could help me diagnose this bluddy noise to weather it actually is the top mounts!

Surprised you never swopped to new ones whilst the springs was changed Gops, parts are like £25?

PM'd dani! :thumbsup:

And Jo, when i got the car from you, i changed them then. I didnt think they needed doing again but what im gonna do is when i get a spare nice day, im gonna just change them again and see if that cures it. If not then its gonna need the dampers coming out to check them.