1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV as Monitor

Discussion in 'Home Cinema, Hi-Fi and Gadgets' started by grathies, Jan 27, 2008.

1. grathies

grathies More Points Than Portsmouth FC

Anyone else out there using a setup like this?

Im running my PC thru my 40" Sony Bravia (1080p.... total overkill really but oh well!) using a DVI-HDMI Adaptor

Running at 1360*768 and all seems to be cool, its only in my bedroom tho so didnt wanna go any bigger really

Thinking that the TV will be great for the PS3 and 360 Ive got on order as well, kinda new to all this sorta stuff
  2. 205man

205man Active Member

im running mine through my sony 46" bravia, i used to use my philips before it died on me, but the pictue on the sony is far better
  3. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

40" in your bedroom?! I hope its a big bedroom else you'll be wasting the tv being so close to it!!

I've got the Sony KDL40W2000 in the lounge and I wanted some way of hooking up my PC which is in my office upstairs to watch movies etc without having to constantly be burning stuff to disc. Was gonna get a pc-to-tv transmitter but suddenly had an epiphany and now plug my laptop into the tv via the VGA cable port and link to the PC upstairs via the wireless network. Its totally brilliant, and very impressed with the picture quality, much better than a burnt disc at any rate. I have used it a little as the monitor but its way way too big for normal use in my opinion!
  4. Dan Gliballs

Dan Gliballs Active Member

My thoughts exactly lol...........the bedroom must be laaaaaaaaaaarge.

I pondered over a 40" Bravia for our living room, but after following the recommended charts and tables, I opted for the KDL 32D3000 (100hz). Perfect for the room.
  5. grathies

Yeah 40" in the bedroom (as my ex's tho and they will say its more like 7" lol)

The rooms just the right size, picture quality is spot on when Im laying in bed, I love my films and so far it seems ideal!
  6. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

This has got me thinking now. I just picked up a 32" phillips lcd and it would be good to have that bad boy hooked up to the computer. Went to currys and picked up another hdmi lead and a hdmi to dvi adaptor but now i need a dvi to vga adaptor lol. Should work once i've got that though.
  7. 205man

205man Active Member

i thought my 32inch in bedroom was enough, sony say you should sit a minimum of 9ft from a tv if its over 37inch, well that what they advised when i was in the sony centre
  8. grathies

Might be better off going for a different grapics card that has eithter HDMI output or DVI, the more adaptors your using your bound to loose some quality
  9. grathies

Yeah Im 11ft from it when sat in bed and its amazingly clear

Finally sorted out my resolution so now have it running at 1080 thru the 1080p, well happy
  10. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

Yea i just found that out from pc world so i took the adaptors back. I'll have to look into getting a new graphics card then.
  11. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

Keep an eye on your contrast levels though, pc's output such clear images that the contrast can sometimes be so high that it will burn the screen.
  12. Shades

Shades Member

?? I only thought image burn happened if there are static images (or portions of) on a screen for far, far too long? I can't see how, on its own, having the contrast high would burn the screen. Perhaps LCDs are different to normal CRTs though...
  13. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

ANY
    screen will suffer from screen burn, and the image does not have to be static for long if the contrast levels are exceptionally high as they are on DVI or VGA(RGB) inputs.

Just think of the start button and the taskbar, they sit idle for ages on most pc screens...
  14. Shades

Shades Member

Personally I've yet to see any screen burnt with the start/task bar. The only screens I've ever seen with burnt in images are at airports and train stations. By rights then my screen should be emblazoned with PowerDVD across it by now... I dread to count the amount of times I've fallen asleep watching a film only for the PowerDVD "columns" image to be left on-screen for hours on end when the film has finished... last night being one of them... It had to be there for 8 hours at least (I never bother with a screen saver either!).
  15. Katha

Katha New Member

and dont forget that pc monitors run at higher res than HD the 3007WFP (the dell 30 inch thats quite affordable) has a a resolution of 2560 x 1600

ime looking at the new gt8800's
  16. Bong Water

Bong Water In two minds

A PC monitor will always display a cleaner crisper image than a TV

Its ok if your not to fussed but for gaming a decent monitor wins everytime
  17. d3sbo

d3sbo New Member

i have a 46" running 1920*1080 using an ati 4870 gpu on HDMI cpu is a q6600 @ 3.6 Mhz and it will paly any game at 1080p