Large bore inlet? on a 1.8t aum

will.f_1.8t

Reaction score
hi all, ive been planning on getting mine (1.8t aum believe i have the ko3s) remapped for some time now, but before i do i wanted all the possible mods done first to get the best performance out of mine as possible.
so far i have ; front mount intercooler, forge split-r, forge tip, enclosed induction, cat back exhaust.

i am now looking to get a stock large bore (auq) inlet manifold, better injectors and possible throttle body (r32)???

im not all that clued up and wondering if any one could help

cheers will

all those things are only needed on a big turbo upgrade surely?

i got vf34 turbo and im running stock inlet mani and tb just bigger injectors

if anything get yourself a 3" downpipe to increase flow and reduce lag

I am running std inlet mani and throttle body with my GT3071 just fine...

<tuffty/>

I am running std inlet mani and throttle body with my GT3071 just fine...

<tuffty/>

i was wondering why it seemed like no one on here had gone for aftermarket inlet manifolds/tb's, im guessing this is because the standard parts are more than up to the job?

when you done your conversion mate did you polish out the aforementioned bits at all, as i was playing with the idea of doing this?

i was wondering why it seemed like no one on here had gone for aftermarket inlet manifolds/tb's, im guessing this is because the standard parts are more than up to the job?

when you done your conversion mate did you polish out the aforementioned bits at all, as i was playing with the idea of doing this?

I didn't polish anything on mine, it came off, I cleaned it, I put it back on... My setup would benefit from a larger inlet setup (bigger mani/TB) but I chose not to as I couldn't justify the additional expense versus the actual gains I would get plus I was going for the OEM look anyway... I think I am pretty much maxxed out on the flow capacity on my current setup although the turbo will give more...

<tuffty/>

I polished my TB with a bit of 800 grade wet and dry, and then used some Autosol polish to bring it up to a sheen.

Totally pointless.... But it looks nice, and you can use it to do your hair in an emergency.

If you've got sod all else to do with a few hours, why not?

I didn't polish anything on mine, it came off, I cleaned it, I put it back on... My setup would benefit from a larger inlet setup (bigger mani/TB) but I chose not to as I couldn't justify the additional expense versus the actual gains I would get plus I was going for the OEM look anyway... I think I am pretty much maxxed out on the flow capacity on my current setup although the turbo will give more...

<tuffty/>

the two ive seen are on awesome gti, one of them is claiming a 30bhp gain, surely not for a bolt on mod, that must be if complemented by various and relevant mods?
so you would say your pretty much at the limit of the standard stuff at roughly 400bhp? not bad for oem lol

I polished my TB with a bit of 800 grade wet and dry, and then used some Autosol polish to bring it up to a sheen.

Totally pointless.... But it looks nice, and you can use it to do your hair in an emergency.

If you've got sod all else to do with a few hours, why not?

haha, yer does look nice mate, good effort there, but i suppose the tb is fairly smooth already so any further finishing would give very minimal to no gains?

Welly, i think he meant polishing the inside?

that was the inside of the tb byzan?
blinded by the shine perhaps? :laugh:

If by Awesome you mean APR's inlet manifold with 75mm throttle, it is 30bhp gain on an already 350+bhp motor, and is not just manifold, but manifold and "ported" head to match larger port...

On k0x turbo its a waste of money

If by Awesome you mean APR's inlet manifold with 75mm throttle, it is 30bhp gain on an already 350+bhp motor, and is not just manifold, but manifold and "ported" head to match larger port...

On k0x turbo its a waste of money

yer thats the one mate, i didnt think it would be a bolt on 30bhp gain (never is lol)

o yer, agree wasted on ko turbo as they cant shift the volumes, but with anyone with bt or going bt wouldnt this be a relatively cheap/easy way of squeezing the most from your turbo?

also which throttle body would suit something like this, not oem one im guessing?

thanks for the replies, as i said im not all that clued up on 1.8t engines so all your knowledge and help is much appreciated.
i was going to buy and polish the outside of an inlet manifold so i could still drive mine, will the large bore bolt straight on as i may aswel get the larger bore than smaller!

Are a larger bore down pipe and sports cat worth the money compared to the gains it will produce?

ive also seen mods such as an oil catch tank and 3" maf upgrade, are these performance or reliability modifications?

cheers will

thanks for the replies, as i said im not all that clued up on 1.8t engines so all your knowledge and help is much appreciated.
i was going to buy and polish the outside of an inlet manifold so i could still drive mine, will the large bore bolt straight on as i may aswel get the larger bore than smaller!

Are a larger bore down pipe and sports cat worth the money compared to the gains it will produce?

ive also seen mods such as an oil catch tank and 3" maf upgrade, are these performance or reliability modifications?

cheers will

as bill said in answer to my earlier post, its not just a case of buying an aftermarket inlet mani, bolting on and gaining 30bhp, the head would have to be ported to suit the bored out inlet manifold, this kind of modding is only really for serious power, tuffty has oem tb/inlet mani and is at 400bhp!!

i dont know how much a 3" dp would cost as ive never looked, but a larger diameter dp will allow exhaust gases to flow more freely reducing your back pressure allowing the turbo to spool up quicker and the engine revs to pickup quicker, you wont get any more power, but when you put your foot on the loud pedal you will pick up speed quicker than before, you will also run out of puff quicker though

the oil catch tank is just a bit of engine bay bling really, nice if you got a spare £50 and few hours to fit

i honestly think given your current setup that the dp would be the best way to go, then remap and it will be a totally different car
other than that i think any further engine mods would be wasted as the turbo would be holding you back

As above but a 3" (or S3) MAF isn't an upgrade on a K03 turbo'd car (or K03s), its a requirement for a K04 or larger turbo upgrade... no benefit to bolting it on to your current setup and would require at least a stage 2 but most likely a stage 3/full custom map...

K04 hybrid/K03 fitment is a popular upgrade path with Ibiza owners, check out the SEAT Cupra Net forums for some ideas....

This would require S3 injectors/MAF but would allow you to retain the K03 exhaust mani and whatever K03 downpipe you get... I wouldn't bother changing the injectors otherwise...

This route will give you much better bang for buck than an inlet mani

<tuffty/>