1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop keeps cutting out.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema, Hi-Fi and Gadgets' started by quattrojames, Jul 5, 2009.

1. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Must have been pretty ***** in the beginning though chris to be that bad as I've known of much older machines to never have issues like that & there was no sign of the paste, lol.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi Avant Owner Group Audi A6

There was dust stuck to the fan blades, and there was some in the little radiator type bit, I wouldn't have said it was THAT bad in honesty, but in hindsight the fan had been working more and more and the bottom of the laptop had been getting hotter and hotter for several weeks. Since I have cleared it the fan runs nice and quiet and it never gets hot underneath :)

Flowers IPA?

:tumble:

Seriously, where is this thermal paste used?

4. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!
    VCDS Map User

Isopropyl Alcohol, its available at any electronics shop, like maplins. Best off getting it online, I get mine from Farnell or Buck and Hickman.

The paste is between the processor and heatsink, you remove the keyboard (on most laptops) and the processor is directly underneath, then remove the heatsink and clean the top of the processor and underside of the heatsink and then reapply a little grease.

5. AuldReekie

AuldReekie Member

Ditto, just noticed this. :beerchug:

6. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi Avant Owner Group Audi A6

Thanks Chris, it's running pretty cool now so I'm loathed to interfere! but always good to know :icon_thumright: