Laptop help

Rev-head

Reaction score
well was at the auction house again trying to find more junk for my flat ...when i came across this laptop the note on it said the battery was goosed so me thinking what the hell if it goes for peanuts i will buy and see how i get on with it...i only need laptop to run VAG.com

Got it for £30 ........so i need help now to get the thing going have got the charger cable on it but it is not starting up

The Model of laptop is obscure

Brother Laptop: Model A53

does anyone know anything about these as i have hunted the internet and all i get is printers and fax machaines?

looking for detail overview of model or any help to maybe fix this thing

Cheers

Brother: [SIZE=-1]Maker of faxes, printers, sewing machines, and other household electronic products. With worldwide subsidiary pages.[/SIZE]

lol!
I wasn't aware of brother making laptops! Was this information told to you by the auction house or on the laptop?

It must have a logo on it somewhere? If not how about a picture of the sticker on the bottom on the laptop? Model number even?
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]

label on the front says BROTHER

Model:Meritus A53
Input rating :20v

If it's not powering-up when the AC is connected it could just be that it's confused and needs a CMOS reset; that can be tricky depending on the laptop though; but depending on how the electrics in the battery/charge/power circuitry are arranged it might be that either a) it has a combined power/charge layout which is faulty; or as is quite common in situations with these symptoms, that like a car; the battery isn't just there to store power, it also acts as a power-cleaner/regulator; and if the battery's had it that might prevent AC power too.

Hard to say without knowing exactly how that laptop is set-up though; as it could be any or none of the above... I'll ask some questions to see if anyone knows anything about that notebook next week if you've still not had any joy by then...

Regards,

Rob.

got the battery out and it is a Molicel ME202BB and its shagged charged for a day and has taken nothing so got one off e-bay hopefully that might help problem

yeah it should power up even without the battery in if its got AC power.

Do you get anything on the screen at all ?

taken battery out and connected to mains but no lights just dead have other chargers about with same connection could i try this to see if the charger is at fault?

Cheers

just tried another charger from shredder and the computer started up but dont think it had the right power out-put the screen did start up but small lcd screen came up with light bulb sign and a dripping Tap any ideas on that?

Yeah, it needs a wash. Make sure you don't use any strong scented soaps, use something like simple as brothers have notoriusly sensitive skin :)

Sorry, I'm not sure what it means, just in a silly mood!!!

I'd try and get hold of a new power supply sounds like the old one is ******** to me, have you checked the fuse etc?

If you can't find a replacement on ebay etc then I think places like maplin now do multi adaptors that should be upto the job, you'll need to find one that can deliver enough current and the same voltage.

have been unscrewing things now and noticed the fan it not working so that will have to be fixed fingers crossed it has not damaged anything else with not been working....need to work out what the icons mean
S5000003.jpg

Did you use hot or cold water?! :think:

If the fan hasn't been working then it is very possible the on board power supply has been damaged.
Try getting a new external power supply as advised and see what happens.
What is the pic of btw?!:lmfao:

Pic is your Momma

the small display screen that is showing the fault icons:photo:

I used to repair laptops for a living, stop buggering about before you sort the power issue - it could be the only problem as they can do very strange things when they arn't getting the power they need. It should have an auto power off to protect the CPU if it overheats so I wouldn't worry about the fan, get it to turn on and work first!

I can't really make out the pic, but the tap normally relates to hibernation or suspend mode normally the number of lines coming out of the "tap" depends on what state it's in... none - hibernate to disk, one - suspend etc.

Check the power supply output with an AVO meter (if you have one) but don't substitute the original supply with another unless the voltages are the same and the polarity is also.

Don't take it for granted that the supplied PSU is the correct one either, check the input voltage on the bottom of the laptop and make sure it tallys up.

A CMOS reset will only clear problems with the BIOS, I have been using laptop computers since Honeywell Bull machines were about and have never had to reset a BIOS unless there is a password that has been forgotten.

So to summarise, make sure the PSU is actually supplying power and that its the correct voltage and polarity, the charging icon should appear in the LCD display. Then when you hit the power button, (try pushing it momentarily or pushing and holding for a few seconds) the screen should come on, even if the BIOS is knackered it will do something.

If it doesn't maybe you should take a view on the time spent on fixing it.

Update fully charged and everything is working now except the LCD screen The cold Cathode Lamp has gone so need a new LCD screen as the model does not exist on the net need to find something the same.. it is 14 inch screen will take it out and check the connection and part number

Update again.......got another screen from the states and the same problem is there any way of testing the power to screen ?........

Cheers

Even if you got this pile of junk for free you are now seriously overspent on it.
Bin it and buy a decent brand that actually works. You can get a working HP or Tosh on ebay for £100. There are very few serviceable parts inside a laptop.

Before investing in a screen, did you not check that the thing worked with an external monitor?

works with external monitor..everthing else is fine with it apart from that .....the screen i got is goosed so guy i bought one of is send me another only cost £30 so not worried about that .....Its only for plugging into my car it has no other use