1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop GPS??

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by rickquattro, Jun 2, 2005.

1. rickquattro

rickquattro Member

Is it possible to use a laptop as an in-car GPS?

The satellite receivers are available as USB items? Software is available too....

Any opinions or ideas?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif
  2. imported_Yaseen

imported_Yaseen Guest

Go read up on mp3car.com and digital-car.co.uk

Destinator can be free if you know where to find the right dll file /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I use Autoroute 2005 and a USB laptop adapter, its very good and very accurate

Destinator Eh?? Any tips finding this Yaseen??
  4. rickquattro

rickquattro Member

Thanks Yaseen, off to have a look. I may be able to get destinator via Limewire.....
  5. imported_Yaseen

imported_Yaseen Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Yaseen, off to have a look. I may be able to get destinator via Limewire.....

[/ QUOTE ]

naughty boy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

As destinator is a pda program you need to download mapmonkey or freedrive to run it.
  6. rickquattro

rickquattro Member

Yaseen....That MP3car site... its just done my head in! Its a bit techy. I think I need to spend a bit of time reading stuff so it makes sense.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

Back later. Oh and a for limewire...its rude not to...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif
  7. imported_Yaseen

imported_Yaseen Guest

That mp3car.com is an amazing site. If you have a problem with a related program post and within a day some smart programmer will fix it. Love it.

www.mapmonkey.net has a simpler explanation but peservere with the site and you will find lots of stuff to use on you laptop. Its the future- Fiat will be putting in Microsoft`s carpc software in all cars staring next year and ford are testing too.

dudes on mp3car.com are working on many projects including bringing actual close up satelite pics on gps which will be stunning.

Also search on there under o2 for recent threads about o2 sims giving free gprs access to web meant for o2 employees.

Reccomend Roadrunner as a frontend shell as will load up quicker. (includes a few features which resulted due to me nagging the creator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif) Also don`t forget to use hibernate and maplins sell car adapters for laptops.
  8. rickquattro

rickquattro Member

Thanks Yaseen, good info.

Make a PC look better? Just don't buy one, buy a Mac in the first place!