Lamin-X...Advice needed

electric_cooper

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Following on from my thread with pics of my new car, numerous people have mentioned that I should get Lamin-X for my next mod

I have done a search and have a rough idea of what it is but am just wanting someone to clear it up for good:

What exactly is Lamin-X?
How much is it, where can I buy it and what comes with the package?
Does anyone have a before and after pic?
Does the mod affect the light output of the headlamps?

Thanks guys :rockwoot:

It is a protective film which can be bought in various tinted colours. You can get the science bit from the websites - see below.

You can buy from US pre-cut here or sheets of it from UK here; costs as per websites.

Have search for Jamiekip's pics he has it and has posted loads of pics of his car. The UK site has an owners gallery here that I have just spotted.

There is a thread on here about the light output and I think on the US site. Basically don't go darker than tint and you will be sweet.

Tint will really suit your car and finish off the stealth look (nice car btw). If you go US, make sure you get headlights and fogs.

Edit: the free shipping on the US site is thought only to apply to the US :( So rules out the advantage of a group buy.

Last edited:
Thanks mate

whats the difference between US and UK?

See sentence two of my post, lol. US ships pre-cut to fit individual models and lights. UK site you buy a cm/m2 sheet, so you have to calculate how much area you need to cover. I know what I think is easier, but if you are handy with maths, a scalpel and heat gun then UK should be ok.

Cool - sorry its been a long day

So is it a case of heating the pre-cut film and using a something flat (credit card, etc) to make sure it goes on smoothly with the air bubbles, etc, a bit like tinting windows?

The US kits come pre-cut in a kit that includes all you'd need.
To apply, you need water near by, spritz the lights with water (make sure they are clean and polished), wet your finger tips, peel the tint of and manouver in to position. You can remove and re-apply easily at this stage, and there is a degree of 'working' the film over the light.mLast stip is to use a plastic 'blade' (supplied) to push air out.
You'll be left with bubbles for a while, but they soon go as the film breathes very slightly - they go after maybe a week.
As said - don't go darker than tint.

50:50 shot when fitting

P1020167.jpg

Afters:

P1020178.jpg

DSC05137.jpg

Cool - sorry its been a long day...

No worries mate, I know how you feel. :thumbsup:

Looks like Santa...ahem...Jamie has been then - your phots are the business J. Can you post up yours and R88PERS for the side-by-side comparison? That pic shows how good it looks to a tee.

Mitch has tint on his too and it's BBR so similiar colour to yours.

:hi: What a gent you are! E_C thinking that should highlight the difference well. Does look good and will/does complement the darker colours, especially as you have optics.

Dont suppose anyone's got any pics of these on a dolphin grey car have they??

Staz what are the side light bulbs you have where no resistor is needed and do you have a link of where you got them from?

Staz what are the side light bulbs you have where no resistor is needed and do you have a link of where you got them from?

I don't have LED sidelights :uhm: the link above is to Evolve's thread where they're selling them.

Just ordered Lamin-x. Don't forget to use the '10off' discount code :sly:

how do you get those PIAA bulbs to fit?! is there come H7 To PIAA converter? im so confused lol

@auldreekie

had a quick read, never noticed that FAQ section its well interesting to find info thanks mods!

from having a quick read (and being blinded from a few pics) lol i take it i cant use PIAA bulbs because i dont have DRL's just normal H7 halogen and sidelights. so it cant be done right?

Yup, I have PIAA sidelights (and DRLs) and they will do main/dipped numbers too. They look the business mate, the white light is a great improvement. Do it. :photo:

in slightly confused even after another re-read :( starting to hurt my head LOL or im just plain thick!

on my 2006 audi a3 sport on each headlight i have
w5w sidelight
h7 low beam and h7 main beam,

where would i fit the PIAA bulb? i certainly dont have DRL's do i?

manythanks in advance

If you mean like the one I posted a pic of, it's for the DRLs in xenon-plus headlights. Where you have 2 sets of H7 bulbs (one high beam and one dipped) xenon-plus (or bi-xenon) uses the single xenon bulb for both main and dipped beams. The inside set of lights (where your main beams are) are then free to use for the DRLs, as shown in my pics.

I hope that helps clear things up for you.

ohh ok mitch makes sense now! many thanks just a damn mental block! :3sadwalk:

thanks for clearing it up!

i izzzzzzz aa likkkkke lol!

damn xenon-less car!

I am thinking of ordering some of the tints or maybe gunsmoke, for my A3 which i collect in a few months, i know people have said that the lamin-x doesn't really affect headlight output. My question though, is what about the daytime LED's on the bi xenon headlights? does the film reduce the brightness of those in anyway?

Rgds

Briss

it will effect the light output, but you will not be able to notice it, it can only be picked up with proper equipment, i think with the tint you get about 95-98 percentage of original lighting, but then if you fit better bulbs, it will be totally fine, i have the tint on mine and i can see perfectly fine at night!

cool, that's what i wanted to hear. have now ordered mine so will be fitting these as soon as my car is ready for pickup xD