1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of power - Help !!

gaz71 Jul 15, 2009

1. gaz71

gaz71 1.8T Quattro Sport AJL

:sos: I've had 1999(V) 1.8t quattro sport, engine code AJL, for 3 years now and over time have noticed a drop in power. It has been regularly serviced, new plugs and stuff. It is pretty standard apart from a Pipercross panel filter. I have noticed some oil in the vacuum pipe leading to the inlet manifold and air intake. Something I have noticed is the kick when the turbo kicks in is hardly noticable anymore but you can still hear the turbo sucking air in. Any pointers or advice would be great as I'm getting annoyed at being overtaken by bloody Vauxhalls :mad:

2. ian52

ian52 2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

could be the diverter valve knackered?

3. gaz71

I've tried a new 710N but no difference between that and the stock diverter valve. Thinking of replacing the N75.

4. ian52

ian52 2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

maf maybe?

5. gaz71

I'll give that a clean and see how it goes. Let you know...

6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

If you have vagcom then try a full throttle logging run in third gear and post up the numbers?

7. gaz71

Hopefully getting hold of one at weekend. Will post results when I have them.

8. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

MAF would have been my guess from the first post with the Pipercross panel filter. Need MAF logs, 3rd gear run from 1500 rpm to 6500 in 3rd foot to the floor

9. gaz71

Well, I've cleaned the MAF with propanol and no difference. Will post numbers from vagcom as soon as I can. MAF is 2 years old and done about 12K miles.

10. stapo69

stapo69 All hail the mighty quattro!

My last MAF lasted a year and around 5k before it gave up, handily half way through Belgium on the way to the Ring!!

11. gaz71

Methinks a new MAF may have to be purchased :)

12. S4twiggy

S4twiggy Fully Certified Detailer!!

how could i tell if my MAF is on its way out?

13. gaz71

If my quattro's anything to go by, losing power over time coupled with less turbo kick. But the jury is still out on what is causing my power drain. Vagcom seems to be the way to go, at least it'll throw up any fault codes and useful data that I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to interpret into what the problem is.

14. gaz71

15. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

you want a real bosch one, or it will last about 4 seconds.

16. gaz71

As I thought. Found one at www.murraysdirect.co.uk. £46.98 with a refundable exchange surcharge deposit of £25.00 for the old unit. Unless anyone knows where to anywhere else to get one. Got last one from local Motor Factors for similar deal although I don't think it was a BOSCH, at least it wasn't a BOSCH box.

17. Fraser

Fraser Member

89 from the stealer - exchange unit

18. gaz71

What, who, where?

19. gaz71

I've just got a vagcom with shareware version 409.1 but have hit a snag. Ran Autoscan and the program is telling me that I need to register it. That gives me a problem, I do not have a license/certificate number or the name of distributor. Is there any way of using the software without this info or can anyone give me these details.
    Also I do not have any instructions with the software so do not know how to do a MAF log run, any help?

20. Fraser

Fraser Member

audi dealer

21. au_sjo

au_sjo Member

Could be anything, an air leak perhaps, sticky wastegate, etc.

22. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

can't autoscan with 409.1, just choose the engine blocks you want to log.
    there is a link somewhere on here or google which blocks are MAF related.

you can also choose to display engine related fault codes which will show up an specifics.

what is the engine like at part throttle, especially coming on and off the power?
    knock a lower intercooler pipe off an see how much castrol there is in there.
    a damn good clean out with some thinners can lower intake temps considerably if you are pumping hot air through oil soaked pipes and I/C. its an old car and any seal problems will give you a crappy intake.

that coupled with a knackered MAF will see your ECU pulling your timing back and a lack of power.

pull the MAF plug when idling and see what happens. then try revving with it on and off.
    if no difference take it for a short (gentle) drive without the MAF plugged in. if any of those demonstrate smoother driving, better throttle response, better idle then it is Defo screwed.

but a VAGCom is the only way to see what it is reading