Lack of power and plumes of black smoke!!

Chops77

Reaction score
hi all.
My car (2005 2.0 tdi) has developed a problem which i hope someone on here can help with.

Set of today and noticed a big plume of black smoke from the exhaust on start up.
Took it down the road and it was fine and cleared.
Then at the junction after i had stopped i pulled away and there was a lack of power for a few seconds,then a big cloud of black smoke and then it was fine again (once turbo kicked in i presume)!!
Its now doing this everytime i come to a standstill or go into the low rev range (below 2000rpm), put foot down,big black smoke and then fine!
Not drove it far as dont want to break down or cause more damage!!
Any ideas anyone.
Thanks

Sounds like the same problem I had.....I think your turbo is on its last legs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like the same problem I had.....I think your turbo is on its last legs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It had a new turbo fitted 18 months ago before i bought the car.

Mine did this quite a lot, it started once every now and then and once pushed through it would be fine for weeks/months. Then it became that bad it just stopped boosting and I couldn't even drive like an old granny as it would look like a black smoke screen behind.

I took the front pipe off the turbo when it was cold and looked at the compressor wheel......lets just say it wasn't spinning as it should be. You should be able to turn it freely with you fingers if it's ok....but it could be on a cycle where it's running ok.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong but you don't know how the original owner drove it. Did they just turn the ignition off as soon as they parked up or did they let it idle for a while?

Start by checking all your intake pipework for splits and joins which aren't sealing fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Will check. Not really sure whee im looking tbh but will have quick scan.

Sounds daft but i work at a vw dealership,but it so busy at the moment with the new reg coming out there is just no space to get my own car booked in or looked at.
Would plugging it in to diagnostic machine say if it was turbo or air leak?

Not sure, might say it's too rich possibly.

You need to check all the pipework from the front of the turbo, ICs, through to the inlet manifold. Splits or joints which dont seals will cause air to leak out on boost, so you end up getting too much fuel in which give low power and black smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife had to take car back out to collect daughter from stables before i could check the hoses. She reported same problem on her way there,but in way back home,all was back to normal and working fine!
Ive let engine cool down and had a quick check of pipes and cannot see any noticable splits or leaks in the pipework.

Only thing she done was put some fuel in as the range was low (5 miles)

Hi again. Just wanted to update this thread.
Car finally gave up and lost all power with loads of white smoke and iratic revving.
Took it into my vw dealership workshop (where i work) and was diagnosed that the egr valve was ******!
£130 later and a new egr valve fitted and all is as good as new. Runs really sweet now.

Reactions: QuattroCalum, LawrenceH and DieselJake