1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kwik Fit - Deceptive Thieving Staff .......

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CHRIS555, Nov 30, 2010.

1. CHRIS555

CHRIS555 DOPE with added OCD

[Nov 30, 2010]
    Just before I say anything below I just want to confirm that I only heard this and can not confirm if it is true or not so if anyone has an issue with this, DON'T BLAME ME!!!!

I was talking to a lad last week who works at a Kwik Fit in Nottinghshire and he said he could get me some tyres pretty cheap. I thought great, maybe he can drop in his staff discount or something similar?

So I asked what brands he could do? He said he could do anything but he didn't always have them? I thought that was a bit odd as normally they can get anything the same day - Anyway, he was a chatty little bugger, and he liked to big himself up - so, without actualy telling him my tyre sizes or anything I asked him how much for a set of Goodyear F1 Eagles and he said he could do them all for £70!!!!

Strange as I paid £250 for 2 at Kwik Fit only a couple of months a go! So I asked him how come, are they nicked from the stores? Nooo.....

He and all his colleagues look out for people who don't know anything about their cars and tell them that their tyres have "puncture and/or damage" when they are perfectly ok and get them to buy new tyres (to meet company targets) and sell the perfectly good tyres for cash "round the back".

In this day and age why are we still having to put up with jumped up little rude boys who's only dream is to make a few quid by ripping people off...............?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 30, 2010]
    tbh it happens even when they arent half decent tyres.

A mate of mine baught himself a cheap LHD Proton thing as he was moving to spain, and i helped him sort it out for an MOT.

Passed the MOT and he took it to kwikfit the next day for an oil change (They do the change so cheap he'd have struggled to buy the stuff and do it himself for the same money).

He phones me in the afternoon panicing saying that Kwikfit had just phoned and said he couldnt drive the car away as the tyres were illegal. I told him to ring back and inform them that it had passed an MOT the day previous, so you'd like it in writing so you can take it up with MOT garage. Upon ringing back, suddenly they realised they'd "made a mistake" and it was infact another customers car that had the illegal tyres, and that his car was ready to go.
  4. sidibear

sidibear Looking for Zombies !! Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 30, 2010]
    Because there is a market for it.
    Where there is commerce there is crime. Been that way since the dawn of time.
  5. DaveA3

DaveA3 Audi A-Trizzle!

[Nov 30, 2010]
    bastards!
  6. Ads

Ads License to drive

[Nov 30, 2010]
    Kwik fit was on watchdog a few weeks ago for similar dealings. Lying to customers about work that needs to be done and claiming that work has been carried out by them when it hasn't.
  7. bengal

bengal Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    You will find that its not just kwik fit that do this i worked at a small local tyre company and they did the same one lad i worked with used to scrap the tyres on cars which were his size and were ok and put them on his car so he didnt have to pay for tyres. Then the other good tyres were sold to a part worn tyre fitters place. Im not justifying this but at the end of the day everyone who drives a car should know the legal limits of their tyres so really they should not be getting ripped off so easily. Punctures on the other hand are not so easy to tell as garages tend to make up their own rules on what is repairable or not and not everyone knows what the guidelines are.
  8. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 30, 2010]
    Another Kwik fit story, my mates car failed the MOT with unbalanced brakes, I had a look at his brake disks and noticed one was newish and the other had a lip, he told me he got them changed at kwik fit, and they recommended he changed only one brake disk! :wtf: I told him you always change disks and pads in pairs, never just one side. New brake disk, and straight through the MOT.
  9. bengal

bengal Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    Please tell me your joking thats unbelievable whats next only one of your brake pads is worn down so we will just replace that one :blink:
  10. Izzy1

Izzy1 Vorsprung Durch Technik

[Dec 1, 2010]
    I have a friend who works for kwik fit. most of there trade is with fleet cars.
    on a daily basis they have cars coming in with a puncture. due to fleet company policy they are not to repair a puncture but swap out for a new tyre. so my friend just sells these on for a fraction of the price. but you must repair yourself. most tyres are pretty much brand new.
    e.g Ranger tyre brand new £300+ with a puncher only £60. (off the books of course)
  11. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Dec 1, 2010]
    Kwik Fit are shady as Hell and a lot of their under the counter practices leave a lot to be desired. I've had first hand experience of their moody behavior and would never use them or even pass them on as a suggestion for performing work. I would rather spend an extra £50 than give my cash to those robbing scoundrels
  12. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

[Dec 1, 2010]
    My local Kwik Fit left the rear brake bleed nipples undone/not tight on a customer's car.

The lady came and picked it up, drove off, a few mins down the road, came to brake. And nothing happened....

That particular employee got fired.
  13. Ads

Ads License to drive

[Dec 1, 2010]
    Sometimes kwikfit's crappness works in your favour though.

When I had my Peugeot 206 GTi I took it to them because of a blowing exhaust. They put it up on the ramp and saw there was a hole in the exhaust somewhere in the middle section. The guy checked his book and sourced a one piece middle and back section and fitted it to my car.
    A couple of days later I noticed that I could still hear a blowing sound so took it back to them. They had another look and said the new exhaust was fine and there were no leaks.
    I wasn't happy about this as I could tell some exhaust gases were escaping from the system from somewhere other than the tailpipe. Took the car to another kwikfit branch to have a look.
    There was an old guy working there who obviously knew his stuff, so he bought out his book, looked at the year of my car and told me that its only the early 206 GTi's which have an exhaust system in sections, and my year has a one piece exhaust which includes the cat.
    Anyway, he said that the other kwikfit should never have cut my old exhaust off just after the cat and fitted the older version middle and back section to the remaining top section, they should've just removed the whole exhaust including cat and fitted the newer one piece system with built in cat.

I asked him what happens now and he said I'd have to pay the difference between what I had already paid for the incorrect middle section they had fitted and the price of the new whole system and cat. This worked out to about another £400.

I told him that if when I first brought the car in they had told me that the entire system with cat needed to have been replace then I wouldn't have got them to do the job, and now because they'd fitted the wrong part I'm being forced to buy the correct one from them or drive around with the car blowing.

He understood my point and gave me headoffice's contact details.
    Spoke to the area manager and after a bit of debating he agreed to fit the correct one piece and cat for no extra charge.
    So basically I ended up with a brand new exhaust and cat for the cost of a middle and back section, which was about £150-£200.

That peugeot was a lucky car for me. One more story......
    Took it in for a service at peugeot once and they called me saying it needed new pads and discs all round. They wanted about £300+ to do it so I told them to leave it. Unfortunately for them they guy carrying out the work misread the job card and fitted the brakes and discs anyway.
    When picking up the car they explained the extra work had been done by accident and they would do me a deal by only charging me for the parts and 50% labour.
    Told them I had only budgeted for the service and had no more money. After some to and fro'ing we settled on me paying them £200 from the service and brakes rather than the £198 just for the service!
    Two quid discs and pads.... nice!!
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  14. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

[Dec 1, 2010]
    Aythreee, Its nice when cock ups work in your favour.

I had the same thing done to my XR4x4, I took in to my local KF for them to diagnose blowing of the exhaust, I never wanted them to do the work just to find the fault. I left the car with them and had a phone call saying the work was done and they replaced the back box.
    I popped down to collect the car and have a talk to them about carrying out work that I never authorised.
    After a bit of an argument I drove out with a new back box, new mounts and some bolts fitted to the car. :D
    Never did go back there or any other KF garage again.
  15. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

[Dec 1, 2010]
    As with all companys though...
    The branch is only as good or bad as the people who work there,
    Obviously company policy will not be to cheat people out of their money.
    I have a few mates who work for quickfit and to be fair they seem overly strict on things like the area of the tyre that can be repaired , But after asking about this most of them said "head office set the rules as we need to be covered, it can not be the managers call if its ok to repair as the company as a whole could be prosicuted if the tyre fails after"
    If people are wronged by them, report it to head office. i know of one branch manager that was sacked for refusing to do a job ten mins before the branch closed as he wanted to leave on time.
  16. clcollins

clcollins Member

[Dec 1, 2010]
    My dad took his car in (not at Kwik Fit) for a tyre replacement and they nicked his spare wheel, the wheel was there when he took it in, but it wasn't there when he collected it. There was nothing he could do about it as they denied it and there was no proof, scumbags!!!
  17. consilio

consilio Up the owls!

[Dec 1, 2010]
    ROFLOL!
  18. scott b

scott b Active Member VCDS Map User

[Dec 2, 2010]
  19. crazypainter

crazypainter Member

[Dec 2, 2010]
    Sounds like a lyric from Plan B !!
  20. Ads

Ads License to drive

[Dec 2, 2010]
    :lmfao: Whoops!!

I meant pads and brakes.
    No.. breaks and brakes?
    :think: Pads and shoes??

Nope.. discs and pads! :yes:

I think. :blink:
  21. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 2, 2010]
    Can't believe anyone on here gets their tyres from kwik fit, let alone anything as complex as an oil change! wake up people
  22. sidibear

sidibear Looking for Zombies !! Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 2, 2010]
    If you need a reliable professional tyre place in Ashford / Kent, try Tyreweb at Orbital Park. Ask for Damo, tell him I sent you:thumbsup:
  23. S3 Paul

[Dec 2, 2010]
    I have a mate who worked at a well known VAG tuning company for about 4 years and build alot of their big power cars.
    He is now a superviser at a quick fit, So to say ALL are useless and dodgy is a little unfair,
    The same could be said of th AA or RAC when they offer to fix your car but pay the customer price for the parts... i know of somebody who's coil failed on his golf gti, He thought... no problems im in the AA they will come and tow me, They turned up, found the problem, said he had one in the van and would fit it there and then, the cost... £120 the lad said no chance, my mate can get me one for £35 so the aa man packed up his stuff and left,
  24. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

[Dec 2, 2010]
    I would have been pelting the bastard with rocks as he left if that happened to me.

Or slashed his tyres to stop him leaving. lol.
  25. S3 Paul

[Dec 2, 2010]
    When he contacted head office. the bloke was said to have been given a written warning..
    But again, shows there is good and bad in any big company,
    An AA bloke was called out to my ex's car because it wouldnt turn over...the started motor was dead, the AA bloke said... If you can find somewhere with one round here... i will go get it and sort it,
    GSF had one, he went and collected it after we had payed for it over the fone,
    He fitted it and we was on our way. no charge!
  26. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Dec 2, 2010]
    I went to Kwit Fit a few years ago, i got 2 tyres off MYTYRES and said I would fit them myself, so called KF and the guy on the fone said, no worries £20 mate, pop in ask for me and ill sort it, so I went, whilst waiting the 'manager' came to me said can I help you, so i said yea im just waiting for the tyres to be swapped, he said ok, i will take the money, went to the till, came upto £34 i think it was, i said no ive already agreed this with so and so and thats what im paying, he was like i dont think so, so i said ok forget it, put my original wheels and tyres back on and I will get them done near where I live in Brum, he said ok, fine do it for £20, called the person in and you could tell it was a back hander and he was in some serious trouble with the looks he was getting from the 'manager'!!

Ah well, i got my wheels fitted, not my prob, it was his for being a scammer!!