Koni coilover ride height adjustment issues

flatshifter

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have installed a pair of Koni coilovers up front for my A4 and came across a strange(to me) issue.

Prior to the installation, I measured and set the height from the base of the thread to the top part of the spring platform. I decided with 1 inch for my LH front and 1.1inch for my RH front(RH drive here), which common sense tells me there's added weight on the driver's side.

Dropped the car and drove it around to settle it and found out the LH front being 25.2inch from Ground to Fender(GTF) and 24.8inch for the RH Front. Yes, I do know there's more stuff on the driver's side(steering column, turbo, etc) and to confirm this, a bit of research from a UK magazine revealed that the RH front being 432kg and LH front being 415kg for our RH drive cars.

To compensate this extra weight which I would assume being the culprit of the uneven ride height, I've increased the height(preload at the same time) on the RH front from 1.1 to 1.5inch from the base of the thread to the top part of the spring platform.

Again, I drove it around and measured the ride height only increased by 0.1inch! wtf.

I was thinking of increasing the height to 2inches, but having seen that 0.5inch of height increase unloaded, only yields a 0.1 increase in ride height when loaded...something is not right with the hardware or what Im doing.

My konis are this version, think its the earlier one, which is a freaking pain to adjust the ride height:-

dscf0477.jpg

One thing I did not do(forgotten) is measure is the spring height unloaded. I cant remember whether they are off the same length or not. Also, are they designed specifically for LH and RH sides?

Would love to hear from you guys on how to set up the ride height if im not doing it the right way.

Ideally you'd want to use corner scales and aim for even cross weights.

The problem is probably because when you raise one side, it shifts the weight around, so you'll have a different weight acting on that spring than you did with it at 1". The anti roll bar also acts to link the suspension together, and can alter the readings if the ground isnt perfectly flat.

Thank you so much for your reply. Posted this on vwvortex and im surprised there's no reply!

Ok, forgive me if I have misunderstood your sentence there but my RH front being heavier than the LH front, wasnt I doing the right thing by increasing the preload(stiffer springs to compensate the extra weight)?