Facelift Known fault with FL RS3 - ticking exhaust valve..

Email from Audi after a phone call the other day......

Thank you for speaking with me today regarding the concerns you have about the engine noise from start-up on idle, in your Audi RS3.

We discussed that the noise you are hearing, is part of the optimized catalyst management, but is considered by Audi to be current production standards for Audi RS3’s, this will be the reason why you are hearing example’s of other Audi RS3 Model Year 2018 Owners with a similar noise.

Your vehicle is covered by the three years manufacturers warranty, which will protect you against any manufacturing defects, for piece of mind.

As discussed on the phone, we will close this complaint down as resolved, and please be in touch with your local Audi Centre for assistance should you require it.

We thank you for your time and understanding, and wish you all the best in the future.

Kind regards

Mikki Elliott
Customer Relations Manager

Audi UK

Tel 0800 699 888
Email customer.services@audi.co.uk

Yep I made that comment in all seriousness, haha! I will battle it to the bitter end and get a hold of Audi UK when they do flake... but the bitter end if I did fail would be having them anodised myself. I’d even suggest to Audi to pay for anodisation if they aren’t willing to replace the box.

Before I had them I also much preferred the chrome tips but I’m not sure if I’d have mine done chrome to be honest, the Black tips are the signature look now for the sports exhaust. The chrome tips were high maintenance which was good in the way that I kept them clean on the S3, the Black tips are easily overlooked and even mine have built up badly now. The 5-pot definitely throws out a lot of soot.

It would just be bare metal underneath, which could be polished but that is harder to keep than chrome I’d say but then again... nothing to pit! The black tips are actually black chrome.

I was looking into getting my tips rechromed elsewhere but it will be a real ball ache mate. You would have to take of the rear back box then transport it over to a reputable chroming workshop.

Email from Audi after a phone call the other day......

Thank you for speaking with me today regarding the concerns you have about the engine noise from start-up on idle, in your Audi RS3.

We discussed that the noise you are hearing, is part of the optimized catalyst management, but is considered by Audi to be current production standards for Audi RS3’s, this will be the reason why you are hearing example’s of other Audi RS3 Model Year 2018 Owners with a similar noise.

Your vehicle is covered by the three years manufacturers warranty, which will protect you against any manufacturing defects, for piece of mind.

As discussed on the phone, we will close this complaint down as resolved, and please be in touch with your local Audi Centre for assistance should you require it.

We thank you for your time and understanding, and wish you all the best in the future.

Kind regards

Mikki Elliott
Customer Relations Manager

Audi UK

Tel 0800 699 888
Email customer.services@audi.co.uk
That’s the end of that then Sean by the sounds of it mate.

Reactions: T-800
Just collected mine, first cold start and it rattles exactly the same :lmfao:

Oh well. Will email them with my review of it in the next few days.

Did they say if they changed out the Exhaust? And if so was it a different part no to the original ?

Did they say if they changed out the Exhaust? And if so was it a different part no to the original ?

It’s been changed yes it’s brand new, looks lovely!! No more flaking tips for a few weeks haha!!

They didn’t say if it was a different part, but it was on back-order. But I can confirm from a quick drive, I’m 90% sure it’s louder! Much deeper low down in the cabin and windows down, much much raspier... from early indications.

Will be recording clips of the noise and sending them to Audi, that’s providing it rattles again... next cold start I will do the drive/sport gearbox trick to test it.

To be honest if it still rattles I’m not bothered, what I’m worried about is the flaking tips!!

Reactions: teslaboy
It’s been changed yes it’s brand new, looks lovely!! No more flaking tips for a few weeks haha!!

They didn’t say if it was a different part, but it was on back-order. But I can confirm from a quick drive, I’m 90% sure it’s louder! Much deeper low down in the cabin and windows down, much much raspier... from early indications.

Will be recording clips of the noise and sending them to Audi, that’s providing it rattles again... next cold start I will do the drive/sport gearbox trick to test it.

To be honest if it still rattles I’m not bothered, what I’m worried about is the flaking tips!!
The extra noise you can hear must be a placebo effect...it's the same exhaust and engine after all?

Reactions: T-800
The extra noise you can hear must be a placebo effect...it's the same exhaust and engine after all?

I don’t know I did think that, but I seems clear as day even my girlfriend agreed.

But it is too early to say, I’ve been driving a 1.0 A1 all day... might be able to give a better idea in a week.

Audi potentially could have changed the frequency of the exhaust to try and kill the rattle because the valve design won’t have changed.

Ive just been blipping it outside the house and it’s definitely louder, pops are much louder! Instead of a lot of quiet and few loud pops I’m getting a lot of loud pops and a few very loud pops/bangs.

Ive just been blipping it outside the house and it’s definitely louder, pops are much louder! Instead of a lot of quiet and few loud pops I’m getting a lot of loud pops and a few very loud pops/bangs.
Well I'm baffled! But great news if that really is the case.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I have an exhaust rattle, flaking tips, a badly creaking drivers seat, a Haldex that causes the engine to bog down and my hubs have been painted and are still rusting.
Apart from that though, all good ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and AudiNutta

Are you guys not reading T-800 posts? Audi say it is part of the start up process so never will get fixed.

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, AudiNutta and DW81
All this talk on here is giving me thoughts of cancelling my order.....!!

Reactions: Evil Diesel and E15
All this talk on here is giving me thoughts of cancelling my order.....!!
Still an awesome car. The rusty hubs and flaking paint are just superficial. The squealing brakes are poor from Audi but can ultimately be rectified with aftermarket pads (we shouldn't have to do this). The sound on a cold start doesn't sound great but goes after 30 seconds. They're small gripes. Which is what makes it worse as Audi could sort them all out if it wanted to.

Reactions: Terminator x, AudiNutta and E15
Not too worried about the rusty hubs and flakey paint, the ceramic coating will look after all of that i hope.

The likes of the rattles etc, are little pet hates. But I’m sure the noise will drown all that out anyway!

Reactions: Terminator x
Not too worried about the rusty hubs and flakey paint, the ceramic coating will look after all of that i hope.

The likes of the rattles etc, are little pet hates. But I’m sure the noise will drown all that out anyway!

Haha, good luck! Mine is as coated and protected as a car could possibly be with coatings and my hubs went after 2 weeks!!

If it’s the same part I’m not wasting my time pursuing it .

Exactly my thoughts here... there’s no point whatsoever in changing

I’m going to put an email together for the dealer to check the number on the old exhaust before it’s gone and compare it to the new.

Reactions: Phil3

I’m just as shocked too because I expected it to be worse, if it is the same or quieter I will be totally confused.. difference seems clear as day, will have another listen with a fresh head tomorrow haha.

Haha, good luck! Mine is as coated and protected as a car could possibly be with coatings and my hubs went after 2 weeks!!

What do rusty hubs look like? If its where the wheel meets the brakes at the rear side of the rims mine are still perfect 7 months later.

I live in Australia though and have my car garaged, is it maybe a Europe thing? Snow? Do you guys have heaps of salt in the air over there? Is your car parked outside?

What do rusty hubs look like? If its where the wheel meets the brakes at the rear side of the rims mine are still perfect 7 months later.

I live in Australia though and have my car garaged, is it maybe a Europe thing? Snow? Do you guys have heaps of salt in the air over there? Is your car parked outside?

Yes that’s correct, if you don’t see orange rust don’t worry.

Australia will definitely help :lmfao: Cold, wet and salted roads in the UK are the worst possible conditions. Mine is in a heated garage every night.

Does anyone else suffer from horrendous break squeal and spoken to Audi about it? Believe Doc has but the issue is still there after it was in to be looked at.

I was going to mention to Audi re the exhaust rattle but there’s no point clearly judging from the above.

Does anyone else suffer from horrendous break squeal and spoken to Audi about it? Believe Doc has but the issue is still there after it was in to be looked at.

I was going to mention to Audi re the exhaust rattle but there’s no point clearly judging from the above.

I went for Carbon "Brakes" that helps with the squeal a lot :) like there is not any :icon thumright:

Reactions: FBF01

Yes, Audi fitted new brake pads. No surprises, the squeal is still there. I expected as much as we know it's not to do with the compound or pad on discs.

So my exhaust is definitely different. Just inspected my tips closely and they are ugly as f*ck!!!!

You can’t see the welds on the old tips, get down and look at the new ones.. there is a huge 30mm ugly weld on the top and small welds on the bottom! The tip is longer on the bottom than it is on the top so the weld is only 2 inches from the edge of it.

I’ve definitely still got the rattle lmao. Can hear it from the centre of the car, the old trick. Put it in and out of D/S and it goes clear as day. Sent the video to the dealer, let’s see what is said.

Worst is that I’m on day 2, well 28 hours into the new exhaust and it has signs of flaking inside. Inside is a very light duty matt black finish, I can already see very small wrinkles in the paint which match up to the photos on this thread.

Audi, you are sh*t.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Evil Diesel, AB RS3 and 2 others
Anything like this?

New Exhaust

Its like they have not used heat resistant paint - or not bothered with primer!

This is what I compared it to. But I am looking at it 1ft away with a spotlight. It is only ever so slight and hasn’t come through yet, but I’m keeping a VERY close eye on it... dealer is already primed to a tip claim.

I think the finish inside the tip is definitely different.

You're baffled, but maybe the new back box isn't! Hahahah

Reactions: Terminator x and D0C
So my exhaust is definitely different. Just inspected my tips closely and they are ugly as f*ck!!!!

You can’t see the welds on the old tips, get down and look at the new ones.. there is a huge 30mm ugly weld on the top and small welds on the bottom! The tip is longer on the bottom than it is on the top so the weld is only 2 inches from the edge of it.

I’ve definitely still got the rattle lmao. Can hear it from the centre of the car, the old trick. Put it in and out of D/S and it goes clear as day. Sent the video to the dealer, let’s see what is said.

Worst is that I’m on day 2, well 28 hours into the new exhaust and it has signs of flaking inside. Inside is a very light duty matt black finish, I can already see very small wrinkles in the paint which match up to the photos on this thread.

Audi, you are sh*t.
As stated earlier in the Thread, the part number for the replacement exhaust is the same so how can there be a visible difference between the old and new exhausts?

Something is amiss here....

As stated earlier in the Thread, the part number for the replacement exhaust is the same so how can there be a visible difference between the old and new exhausts?

Something is amiss here....

Honestly the tips are vastly different.

Perhaps Audi just changed the way they install them though.... and shape... and overall size.

Reactions: E15
Morning Team.

Just spoke to my dealer asking when are they ordering a new backbox for me and without hesitation, they said that they'll order it today!
I mentioned the new tips flaking and he said that if they keep flaking, does a replacement have to be supplied to which I said that if it's my car and under warrenty then yes, I'd expect a new part...

And so it goes on....:thumbs up:
Nipped in for an update and a replacement back box has been ordered!
A couple of days I was told it'll be here but I'm not holding my breath... :wink:

Reactions: AudiNutta
This is what I compared it to. But I am looking at it 1ft away with a spotlight. It is only ever so slight and hasn’t come through yet, but I’m keeping a VERY close eye on it... dealer is already primed to a tip claim.

I think the finish inside the tip is definitely different.
Your dealer must love you AN, customer of the year award perhaps ;)

TX.

Reactions: Tom_L, Snake Pliskin and T-800